Page 93 of 120 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    It depends on what other guns you have.

If you are already a .45 ACP shooter, such as a 1911 owner, then I would opt for a .45 Convertible Ruger. This way you can use the .45 ACP cylinder. You get loads of cheap brass, and handy little speedloaders in the shape of 1911 mags:

While I am a died in the wool .44 Mag fan, it is hard to beat the practical nature of the .45 Convertible Blackhawk. The only downside is that sometimes .45 Rugers require some work, specifically getting the cylinder throats uniform, before they start shooting their best. That never really seems to be an issue with .44 Mags. With both S&W and Ruger, the .44 has always been a "Plug and Play" kind of thing. Plus I will say the .44 Russian brass/loads have been quite fun.

In fact I have a Manson chamber reamer floating around somewhere in PF land that fixes the throats on .45 chambers, and it is a pretty quick fix. So if you buy one, Just let us know and whoever has it at the moment, can mail it to you.
    Very nice!
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    This thread is gonna cost me money......again....
    Last edited by entropy; 02-22-2022 at 05:10 PM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    Since I brought up the .45 Schofield round in an earlier post.
    A pair of Colt open top replicas from Uberti in .45 Schofield. Shot using black powder.

Attachment 84819

That pic brings back bad memories..

I got put on the bench for about a week after using one of those. Though not in a traditional manner.

I got asked to assist state P&P on an offender check or something (been so long ago I don't remember). But anyways the Parole Officer was this gal that was quite frankly oblivious about how dangerous some of these guys were and the dude she was dealing with in particular. He had one of those black powder pistols just like the one shown. I asked about it and she told me that in her mind it was not a real gun and was harmless OK Lady...

Anyways, ol' Waingro was sketched out about something in his place. Fortunately, the gun wasn't loaded but it was obvious that he didn't want us there and would not stay still/stay seated. I told him a few times to park his ass on a chair and stay there. Long story short he eventually made a grab for a couple of kitchen knives that P&P Officer Clueless had let him work his way over towards on the countertop by the sink. He was leaning over the counter and was reaching with one hand and propping himself with the other for balance. Her back was to him and down the narrow little hall and not paying any attention to any of this..

Not wanting to get into a wrestling match over a knife in a confined space and not wanting to throw shots I picked up the black powder pistol by the barrel and smacked his hand that was on the counter pretty hard and he fell onto the counter and I put him in cuffs quickly while he was howling. It all happened in seconds and P&P had no clue what actually happened until I explained it.

Ends up the bones in the hand are a bit delicate, and I whacked him a bit hard. They broke. I sat out for the rest of the week on a use of force review while the brass determined my fate. I ended up getting cleared but what a pain in the ass. Every time I see one of those things I think about it.

It depends on what other guns you have.

If you are already a .45 ACP shooter, such as a 1911 owner, then I would opt for a .45 Convertible Ruger. This way you can use the .45 ACP cylinder. You get loads of cheap brass, and handy little speedloaders in the shape of 1911 mags:

While I am a died in the wool .44 Mag fan, it is hard to beat the practical nature of the .45 Convertible Blackhawk. The only downside is that sometimes .45 Rugers require some work, specifically getting the cylinder throats uniform, before they start shooting their best. That never really seems to be an issue with .44 Mags. With both S&W and Ruger, the .44 has always been a "Plug and Play" kind of thing. Plus I will say the .44 Russian brass/loads have been quite fun.

In fact I have a Manson chamber reamer floating around somewhere in PF land that fixes the throats on .45 chambers, and it is a pretty quick fix. So if you buy one, Just let us know and whoever has it at the moment, can mail it to you.
    Another option is to skip the convertible part and just go straight .45 ACP:

Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I got put on the bench for about a week after using one of those. Though not in a traditional manner.

I got asked to assist state P&P on an offender check or something (been so long ago I don't remember). But anyways the Parole Officer was this gal that was quite frankly oblivious about how dangerous some of these guys were and the dude she was dealing with in particular. He had one of those black powder pistols just like the one shown. I asked about it and she told me that in her mind it was not a real gun and was harmless OK Lady...

Anyways, ol' Waingro was sketched out about something in his place. Fortunately, the gun wasn't loaded but it was obvious that he didn't want us there and would not stay still/stay seated. I told him a few times to park his ass on a chair and stay there. Long story short he eventually made a grab for a couple of kitchen knives that P&P Officer Clueless had let him work his way over towards on the countertop by the sink. He was leaning over the counter and was reaching with one hand and propping himself with the other for balance. Her back was to him and down the narrow little hall and not paying any attention to any of this..

Not wanting to get into a wrestling match over a knife in a confined space and not wanting to throw shots I picked up the black powder pistol by the barrel and smacked his hand that was on the counter pretty hard and he fell onto the counter and I put him in cuffs quickly while he was howling. It all happened in seconds and P&P had no clue what actually happened until I explained it.

Ends up the bones in the hand are a bit delicate, and I whacked him a bit hard. They broke. I sat out for the rest of the week on a use of force review while the brass determined my fate. I ended up getting cleared but what a pain in the ass. Every time I see one of those things I think about it.
    Does go to show though that an empty gun is, in fact, a club.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    If you were going to buy a Single Action would you go with 44 Mag or 45 Colt?
    I went with the Colt.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Im a fan of both 44 and 45 Colt SAs, it turns out i carry and shoot the 45 more, partly because the gun is a bit lighter, and it does everything i need (up to 325 gr@1250fps), as well as it has a number of modifications that I like and enjoy using. Long ago I found a shop that had some ACP cylinders, of the 3 they had and the 3 guns i tried them in, one fit one gun, so I bought it. Thats the gun i tend to take on the road, if I run low on my handloads, I can find 45 auto loads easier on the road (under normal circumstances) than 45 Colts. i dont tend to take a 45 auto pistol traveling.

In general I dont use any factory ammo in most of my revolvers, so its a wash as to loaded ammo availability between 44 and 45. Some have never had a factory round in them as far as I know. Being able to find 45 auto loads on the road is the one exception to that, and is more of a backup plan than anything.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

A surly bartender eh

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    Basically a .45 acp case with a .45 colt rim. Mainly used for shooting reduced recoil loads for the cowboys.
    Not sure they would feed reliably in the lever guns. Mostly for the revolvers.
    Shorter than the .45 Schofield case.
    Dare I say it? A .”45 Short Colt”?

Did you get to keep the revolver?

User Tag List