Page 71 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Are you trying to tell me my 3” CS-1 might not be the best host for an Aimpoint ACRO in an Apex mount ?
    One of my CS1s has around 20,000 rounds through it, the other one has been Magna-Ported. I’m pretty sure I’d just be enabling you at this point. On the subject of the ACRO, Daryl Bolke told me the mount attaches directly to the rear sight screw holes, so I don’t think you’d permanently alter the gun.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    One of my CS1s has around 20,000 rounds through it, the other one has been Magna-Ported. I’m pretty sure I’d just be enabling you at this point. On the subject of the ACRO, Daryl Bolke told me the mount attaches directly to the rear sight screw holes, so I don’t think you’d permanently alter the gun.
    That was my thought. The 7 shot 686 Caleb is running was tempting enough but I recently saw one of the new 3” comped 586’s

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That was my thought. The 7 shot 686 Caleb is running was tempting enough but I recently saw one of the new 3” comped 586’s
    The idea intrigues me, especially as the upfront cost would actually be cheaper for me than setting up a semi auto.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I shot my 4" M57 this afternoon. It's been quite a while since I've shot it. The bullets in the handloads I shot in it are old enough to have been originally designed for the .41 AE - 170-grain LTCs loaded to ~1200 fps to roughly match the 170-grain CorBon loads I have for carry ammo. Yeah, I'm dating myself.

Shooting it DA felt different than it used to. The recoil wasn't a problem, though it did slow me down a bit; the gun just felt so...ponderous. The cylinder wanted to turn slowly; to be honest, it didn't seem to spin freely when loading so I may just need to pull the cylinder off and clean the gunk off the bearing surfaces.

The revolvers I've shot in the last few years have been J and K frames, with the exception of the M22 whose cylinder is mostly holes so it feels like a K frame when shooting it. My autoloaders have polymer frames so they're relatively light. If I wanted to start carrying it again, I'd have to get some concentrated time on it. Funny how much more this revolver weighs now that I'm 69.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    I have a few BB's for the mountains and the wilds. I spend most of my time in the high desert areas around the western states, the Sierras, the lower Rockies, and the Sierra Prietas now. This is my favorite for those places.

Attachment 65156

It is a nicely used 624 that I was able to buy from my neighbor's wife after he passed away. He was a great gentleman who taught me how to reload and shoot with precision. He also flew P-38's and was a master machinist. He was just an all-around great person. I not only enjoy shooting the gun, but also the memories that come with it.
    Ooooof. I've really been wanting to put a set of stags and a T-grip on the model 19 up in post #681. Do want.

New pants for the .44 Spl. Barranti Outfitter, really dig it.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Size:  61.6 KB

I have a few BB's for the mountains and the wilds. I spend most of my time in the high desert areas around the western states, the Sierras, the lower Rockies, and the Sierra Prietas now. This is my favorite for those places.

Attachment 65156

It is a nicely used 624 that I was able to buy from my neighbor's wife after he passed away. He was a great gentleman who taught me how to reload and shoot with precision. He also flew P-38's and was a master machinist. He was just an all-around great person. I not only enjoy shooting the gun, but also the memories that come with it.
    Good Lord! I have that same 624 but she is wearing Roper grips made by Blu Magnum back in the day... those stags your 624 is sporting are the chits! I like the matching handle on the knife.. is that a Puma SGB Bowie?
    Johnny Walker

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    Good Lord! I have that same 624 but she is wearing Roper grips made by Blu Magnum back in the day... those stags your 624 is sporting are the chits! I like the matching handle on the knife.. is that a Puma SGB Bowie?
    I love my 624! I always wanted some Blu-Mag Ropers, but could never seem to get an order in. By the time I found about about him he was booked and winding down. I would love to see those grips!

The bowie is the Puma SGB. The day I picked up the gun I I knew I had to have a knife to go with it. I have always liked the Puma brand so I found the SGB on ebay and I was set!

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Ooooof. I've really been wanting to put a set of stags and a T-grip on the model 19 up in post #681. Do want.

New pants for the .44 Spl. Barranti Outfitter, really dig it.

Name:  1.jpg
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Size:  61.6 KB
    That Bisley is awesome and with those grips and Barranti leather to boot! What a combo. I have two Bisley's, but they are full-sized Blackhawks in .45 Colt. I am so tempted to get the Flat-top. That looks like the perfect size for the .44 Special.

Awesome set-up you have there; thanks for sharing!

I love my 624! I always wanted some Blu-Mag Ropers, but could never seem to get an order in. By the time I found about about him he was booked and winding down. I would love to see those grips!

The bowie is the Puma SGB. The day I picked up the gun I I knew I had to have a knife to go with it. I have always liked the Puma brand so I found the SGB on ebay and I was set!
    When I get back from vacation I will try to remember to post a picture of my 624. I have the same knife which I am sure you guessed by my question. Great combo for woods bumming.

I like to run the Skeeter load for use in my 624 when woods/field bumming. I typically carry in a Gunfighters Inc Kinnai chest rig while riding my 4 wheeler or sitting atop the "hurricane deck" of an original off roader - aka a horse!

BTW, I spent many days hiking all over Thumb Butte / National forest area in Prescott. My folks used to live up next to Thumb Butte on the edge of the National Forest....beautiful place back before the developers took over and built a ton of homes around Prescott and the Valley...... pre-1991 Prescott... great time and super fun place to get out and climb/hike. Back in those days, a Ruger SBH with medium loaded 44 mags rode on my hip. Used to see Mountain Lions about, so the 44 was a comfort.
    Last edited by Johnny Walker; 12-28-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    Johnny Walker

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I shot my 4" M57 this afternoon. It's been quite a while since I've shot it. The bullets in the handloads I shot in it are old enough to have been originally designed for the .41 AE - 170-grain LTCs loaded to ~1200 fps to roughly match the 170-grain CorBon loads I have for carry ammo. Yeah, I'm dating myself.

Shooting it DA felt different than it used to. The recoil wasn't a problem, though it did slow me down a bit; the gun just felt so...ponderous. The cylinder wanted to turn slowly; to be honest, it didn't seem to spin freely when loading so I may just need to pull the cylinder off and clean the gunk off the bearing surfaces.

The revolvers I've shot in the last few years have been J and K frames, with the exception of the M22 whose cylinder is mostly holes so it feels like a K frame when shooting it. My autoloaders have polymer frames so they're relatively light. If I wanted to start carrying it again, I'd have to get some concentrated time on it. Funny how much more this revolver weighs now that I'm 69.
    Update - Yeah, it had some serious funk goin' on. I bought it unfired and had never pulled the cylinder. Now it's clean and the cylinder turns nice and smoothly.

User Tag List