Page 62 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    A little corroborating evidence: Model 29-2 at 10 yards. IIRC, the middle group was American Eagle 240-grain JHP. Left group is HSM Cowboy load, 240-grain SWC at 1,150 fps. Right load is a 240-grain handload.

Okie John
    I found that HSM cowboy load to be one of the more pleasant to shoot off the shelf “magnum” loads in my 3” model 29. Never ran it over a chrono, but it was noticeably softer than a couple different flavors of factory jacketed loads I tried that were supposedly 1200 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I found that HSM cowboy load to be one of the more pleasant to shoot off the shelf “magnum” loads in my 3” model 29. Never ran it over a chrono, but it was noticeably softer than a couple different flavors of factory jacketed loads I tried that were supposedly 1200 FPS.
    Yep. The HSM loads offers mild recoil, great accuracy, and near-magnum ballistics. The American Eagle 240-grain JHP groups a bit better and is going 100 fps faster but recoil is noticeably sharper. After five rounds, I'm ready to call it a day.

The HSM 200-grain cowboy load will barely stay on a pie plate at 25 yards in that same revolver, which is odd.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Still one of the greatest threads in the history of PF. With Tinypic and Photobucket essentially dying, lots of the pics in this thread have been lost. If ya still got 'em, repost 'em! This thread was at least partly responsible for my progressive press almost always being set up for .44, be it Specials or Magnums. I've enjoyed shooting this flat top Bisley .44 Spl an awful lot! Why Ruger won't offer a Bisley in most every big bore Blackhawk/SBH is beyond me. I shoot Skeeter or my "Skeeter Lite" of 7.0 gr Unique under a 240 gr SWC. A 240 SWC in that 900-1000 fps range will do a lot of good work I reckon.

I might take these grips off before I put it in the concrete mixer to get that "Malamute Patina" on it.

Name:  Bisley right.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  Bisley left.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  85.9 KB
    Last edited by Adam; 06-18-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Still one of the greatest threads in the history of PF. With Tinypic and Photobucket essentially dying, lots of the pics in this thread have been lost. If ya still got 'em, repost 'em! This thread was at least partly responsible for my progressive press almost always being set up for .44, be it Specials or Magnums. I've enjoyed shooting this flat top Bisley .44 Spl an awful lot! Why Ruger won't offer a Bisley in most every big bore Blackhawk/SBH is beyond me. I shoot Skeeter or my "Skeeter Lite" of 7.0 gr Unique under a 240 gr SWC. A 240 SWC in that 900-1000 fps range will do a lot of good work I reckon.

I might take these grips off before I put it in the concrete mixer to get that "Malamute Patina" on it.

Name:  Bisley right.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  Bisley left.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  85.9 KB
    Drop dead gorgeous. I think I’d prefer a Bisley from handling one or two. +1 on that Ruger wish list. Incl .357 with a 9mm cylinder
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

A few pages back, about October last year I posted a pic of my 3" 29. Since then I've gotten a new Barranti rig for field and casual carry use to pack this little beast in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    A few pages back, about October last year I posted a pic of my 3" 29. Since then I've gotten a new Barranti rig for field and casual carry use to pack this little beast in.

Looks great!
    What model holster is that?
    Is that the CCR? I've been contemplating one of those for my 3" K frame.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Still one of the greatest threads in the history of PF. With Tinypic and Photobucket essentially dying, lots of the pics in this thread have been lost. If ya still got 'em, repost 'em!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    We don't get many bears out this way, so this is probably my favorite ramblin' gun:

That is a REALLY nice looking combo. I may have to add a set of those to my next Spegel order to go on my K-32.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    This thread never gets old...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Name:  20200708_105839.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  53.7 KB

User Tag List