Page 110 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1199

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    @SouthNarc. About that 45 Colt conversion. This revolver was able to safely fire heavy 38 ammo because of the thickness of its N frame. Metallurgy at the time was primitive compared to the present. Reaming the chambers to accept 45 Colt ammo removed metal. Likewise, screwing a 45 caliber barrel into the frame required enlarging this frame area.

My opinion is that unless you restrict ammo to low pressure factory ammo, damage to the revolver will occur. The weakest area is that part of frame where the barrel fits. The other is chamber walls.
    Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Stone View Post
    Nothing exciting but it is my big bore .45 Colt carry.

Attachment 100363
    The classics are classic for a reason. Nice piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    I've had a couple Uberti single actions but not in 45 Colt. I would not hesitate to buy one in 45 Colt.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    @SouthNarc. About that 45 Colt conversion. This revolver was able to safely fire heavy 38 ammo because of the thickness of its N frame. Metallurgy at the time was primitive compared to the present. Reaming the chambers to accept 45 Colt ammo removed metal. Likewise, screwing a 45 caliber barrel into the frame required enlarging this frame area.

My opinion is that unless you restrict ammo to low pressure factory ammo, damage to the revolver will occur. The weakest area is that part of frame where the barrel fits. The other is chamber walls.
    I'm replying to myself to correct a comment above. I said, "Screwing a 45 caliber barrel into the frame required enlarging the frame area." Not so. I should have said the the 45 caliber barrel will not have the extra thickness in the throat area that the 38 barrel had. It will be much thinner resulting in more stress from a warm load being transferred to that part of the frame opening located at 6 o'clock. Threads take up much of the frame area here and weaken this area somewhat. I popped a new K frame at this point with a factory wadcutter. A nice man at S&W explained why.

@SouthNarc

I am wondering how much this pre-lock 625 Mountain 45LC will finally go for...these things are scarce indeed. I picked mine up well before the pandemic thankfully.

This thread has fallen too far down into the depths..

The box is C3, which was a plastic explosive and (logically) a precursor to C4 explosives. The box has a date on it from September 1944.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    This thread has fallen too far down into the depths..

The box is C3, which was a plastic explosive and (logically) a precursor to C4 explosives. The box has a date on it from September 1944.

Gotta love the 29-5 Classic DX. Probably the best of the modern Model 29's.

At the time I was fighting my head with paying the asking price. I knew I would regret it if I didn't, but it was just a lot of money for me. The fact is though, that I don't even remember what I paid, but what I can tell you is that it is an amazingly well put together revolver and shoots absolutely amazing groups. It is just one of those guns that you know that you are the weak link.

If you have a good handload, it is super fun. This load shown in the pic above is a 300 grain wide nose load. Super accurate. Shoots little clusters at 50 yards. That said, I don't shoot them too often as it is a stomper of a load. A couple groups per session is good enough for me. Then I am ready for some milder stuff.

The actions on the Classic N Frames like this M29 are pretty sweet too. I find myself working the DA on it, controlling the hammer with my thumb, just so I can feel what a great trigger it has.

Soooo glad I this one up years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The box is C3, which was a plastic explosive and (logically) a precursor to C4 explosives.
    So, how much do you use in a Manny Mansfield Magnum Manstopper load, or is that a trade secret?

Beautiful gun!

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    So, how much do you use in a Manny Mansfield Magnum Manstopper load, or is that a trade secret?

Beautiful gun!
    I use this much!

User Tag List