Page 56 of 120 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore carry/general purpose outdoorsmen revolver pic and discussion thread

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Bumped because everytime I emerge from hibernation, this is the first thread I go to...

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Bumped because everytime I emerge from hibernation, this is the first thread I go to...
    It is truly one of the best threads ever on this forum.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

3" and 4" S&W 629s. I actually load the 3" with .44 specials and carry it for personal protection at times.........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Early model 696

I carried it a lot until the value of them hit the stupid level.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Early model 696

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c340c9b02a.jpg

I carried it a lot until the value of them hit the stupid level.
    After shooting one at a range meet many years ago, I desperately wanted one of my own. Then, 9 years ago, one fell into my lap for a good price via a shared connection.

I kept it for a few years, but when my folks needed financial assistance after my dad was forced into early retirement, it was the only S&W to go on the chopping block. What I found out in those few years was that it wasn't that fun to shoot regularly. I'd much rather shoot warm special or lite mag loads in my 4" 629 than mild-to-warm specials in the 696. It wasn't so much lighter or smaller than my 629 to make CCW much easier and the lower power and reduced capacity made it less desirable for field carry. Ultimately it didn't fit a niche well enough for me. Additionally, I was always worried about the forcing cone cracking even though I knew logically it wasn't a significant risk.

Chris

This is mine with my first attempt at making my own grips and my custom loading block.

The wood was for our family farm in WV, I fixed up a router jig to debark then made slabs on my table saw after I extended the table using a treadmill someone left on the curb.

The mountain gun went out to play last week

Name:  IMG_2057.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  67.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyfender View Post
    3" and 4" S&W 629s. I actually load the 3" with .44 specials and carry it for personal protection at times.........
    Good friend of mine who lives about a mile from me has the exact same 3" gun..I've been trying to get it from him for years....

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    This is mine with my first attempt at making my own grips and my custom loading block.

The wood was for our family farm in WV, I fixed up a router jig to debark then made slabs on my table saw after I extended the table using a treadmill someone left on the curb.
    Cool jig.

I used to love woodworking, but just didn’t have the space or time.

Is that shagbark hickory?

Cherry with some linseed oil applied.

I've bought some checkering handles from Brownells, just need to decide on the size before I get the heads and co the cutting.

User Tag List