Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Military retirees, budget cuts, and politics

Military retirees, budget cuts, and politics

Military retirees are outraged that Congress will start voting Thursday on a budget deal that trims military pensions, calling the move "an egregious breach of faith."
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/12/news...get/index.html

That is just crazy….oh and I just love how the point that retirees from the military don’t work as long (i.e. retiring at 40’ish vs 60’ish) yet fail to address that most people do not start a civilian career until they are almost 30 years old, that most military retirees, go right back to work after leaving the military, and that most civi’s do not have to deploy all over the world, be shot at, blown up and possibly/likely come home crippled. Retards…

I really think all the playing around with the Army regs and policies, and stuff like the pay increases, retirement ages, pension adjustments and COLA reductions, are all part of a bigger picture, where they are trying to discourage longer service and completely gut the current reliability of the human factor.

We don’t need to send pilots, we can just use a UAV….and we don’t need to pay a person to be in the military to become a UAV pilot, we will just hire contractors for that…the future is going to be very different for the US Military.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph B. View Post
    most people do not start a civilian career until they are almost 30 years old
    Do you have some data to back this up? It certainly does not mesh with my experience.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Do you have some data to back this up? It certainly does not mesh with my experience.
    I don't got a dog in the fight.

Myself and my peers graduated college, wandered around, worked random jobs, some went to grad school, wandered around, and ended up finding out way into careers in our late 20's and early 30's. Small data set but I only have one friend who went straight out of college into a career. My people were mostly environmental folks.

In these time, automatic cost of living raises are less and less common. Federal civilian pay has been frozen since 2009, I believe. Last fiscal year any sort of awards were forbidden.

Moving forward it is going to be different. My co-workers are counting on social security went they retire. I doubt it will be around I retire.

Cookie Monster.

We are diminished
    The proposal trims COLAs for retirees under the age of 62 who were already getting full CPI COLAs (not all retirement programs granted such). As I understand it -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- people under the REDUX system will still get the normal COLAs they've always been promised.

None of which changes the fact that people under pre-REDUX (or who opted not to do REDUX) will see their COLAs lowered which can have a significant impact on lifetime retirement payment total.

Government pensions are a huge liability and I understand why they have a big bullseye on them when the bean counters look for ways to save money. However, a pension isn't just a commitment to do something nice for someone once he's retired. It was part of his compensation from day one. People most certainly make career selections based on retirement factors and having a guaranteed paycheck from a pension is a bonus that makes poorer pay or other reduced benefits worthwhile. Coming in years (or decades) after the fact and telling those people we're not going to pay them what they earned isn't just wrong, it's criminal.

And these ideas always spring from the same people who'd lose their minds if you suggested that iPhones and high-speed internet weren't "critical" items that lower-income households should be getting for free, or if you suggested reducing any other welfare program by 1% per year to their constituents.

As for the idea that most civilians don't start their careers until they're almost 30, I guess that depends on how you choose to define things. Plenty of people start in one job (like, say, the military) but don't stick with it through to retirement. They're still in the workforce, though, and most of them are working either from their late teens or early 20's depending on whether they attend any post-secondary education.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Federal civilian pay has been frozen since 2009, I believe.
    http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/...d-colas/57196/
    It looks like there was a 2 year stretch of no COLA/raises. It differed for retirees and current employees.

And FWIW, the 'Federal Government' COLAs only apply to the executive branch. The Judicial and Legislative branches are not under OPM and can do whatever they feel is necessary/needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    No I do not have any data to support it. I heard it in an ACAP brief when I was retiring, and took it at face value. It was explained that most people do not enter into a trade training program or higher learning education school until they are in their early 20’s and normally do not complete and start a career until their late 20’s early 30’s. It was given as an example of draw backs and advantages of military services as competitive to the civilian workforce, also to encourage immediate education or making use of government hiring preference, while making the transition from the Army to the civilian workforce. It could have been an opinion of the lecturer, but it seemed to make sense.

I'd like to see those guys collect for what they have gone through.

My dad never really got to, dead at 49 he was. Veteran of Korea and three tours of Vietnam, shot, blown up, agent orange, busted up knees, etc.

The .gov wants to use people up in the prime of their lives, deploy them all over the world in really crappy conditions, jack with having a family life, etc., and now they don't want to fully pay for the retirement they have earned with sweat and blood? Sure, trim all of the congress, senator and POTUS pensions first.

I'm one of the first guys to hop on the "government pensions are too high" bandwagon. But you cut future pensions, not current ones. Cutting pension someone has already earned is straight out theft.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The proposal trims COLAs for retirees under the age of 62 who were already getting full CPI COLAs (not all retirement programs granted such). As I understand it -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- people under the REDUX system will still get the normal COLAs they've always been promised.

None of which changes the fact that people under pre-REDUX (or who opted not to do REDUX) will see their COLAs lowered which can have a significant impact on lifetime retirement payment total.

Government pensions are a huge liability and I understand why they have a big bullseye on them when the bean counters look for ways to save money. However, a pension isn't just a commitment to do something nice for someone once he's retired. It was part of his compensation from day one. People most certainly make career selections based on retirement factors and having a guaranteed paycheck from a pension is a bonus that makes poorer pay or other reduced benefits worthwhile. Coming in years (or decades) after the fact and telling those people we're not going to pay them what they earned isn't just wrong, it's criminal.

And these ideas always spring from the same people who'd lose their minds if you suggested that iPhones and high-speed internet weren't "critical" items that lower-income households should be getting for free, or if you suggested reducing any other welfare program by 1% per year to their constituents.

As for the idea that most civilians don't start their careers until they're almost 30, I guess that depends on how you choose to define things. Plenty of people start in one job (like, say, the military) but don't stick with it through to retirement. They're still in the workforce, though, and most of them are working either from their late teens or early 20's depending on whether they attend any post-secondary education.
    The details also include the provision that younger retirees affected by the COLA reduction, will upon reaching the age of 62, have their payments recalculated to catch up the years of COLA reduction. I haven't seen any of the "top line" news articles get that deep into the details.

http://budget.house.gov/news/documen...umentID=364048

Are there any counter proposals out there with less painful ways to lower the personnel costs in the future?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List