Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jessie Duff makes USPSA Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but so what? There are plenty of GMs that don't shoot GM level scores at Nationals. I'm not white-knighting for Jessie here, but I'm seriously tired of people posting her Nationals scores as if they have any bearing on her classification as a GM.

If your argument is that people who can't shoot GM level scores at Nationals aren't real GMs, that doesn't really hold water, because then there would only be 5, maybe 6 GMs in the whole world, and USPSA would have the same Master-class problem that IDPA does.

My point is, anyone can practice classifiers and get a GM card. It does not very well define skill in the sport ..... as is referenced above. There is a guy I know who used to call up the RM at local matches and find out what classifier was going to be at the match. He'd practice it all week and then kill it. He made GM and used it to advance his career. He's never shot worth a crap at a major. Does this really denote skill? Does this really denote success in the sport?

Caleb I'm not trying to dog on you, but would anyone give a crap if some other sponsored shooter got their GM card? Would anyone even know who Jessie is if there wasn't a woman's HOA trophy?

If they are going to make ladies HOA trophies equal to the HOA for the match, then they need to do the same with the senior, super senior, LE, military, and junior trophies. Winning any of these categories is nice, but there is no reason for one to be respected as much as the one who wins the whole schebang. While we're at it, why not high A? high B? Where does it stop? It all smells like the "everyone gets a trophy" award.

As far as "only 5 or 6 GM's" ... So what? Is that so wrong? I just looked at the results from this years Nationals and aside from Eric crushing everyone, all the rest are in line with the top 5-6 shooting in 95%. I would go as far to say if you shoot 90% at a major you can be considered a GM. One would not deny that those who do that have earned their spot through consistency and skill. If you can't make that top 10% ... get back out on the range and practice. That's what the rest of us are doing to make it to the same place.

Why should I respect someone who has a grand bagger card but shows up and shoots 75%? I don't care if they are a Combat Vet, SWAT Sergeant, Sponsored Female, or 14 year old. If you carry that title it should denote your skill level. Not just be a trophy you got by playing the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    My point is, anyone can practice classifiers and get a GM card.

Really?

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    ...would anyone give a crap if some other sponsored shooter got their GM card?
    Maybe yes, maybe no.

But, I bet that if some other sponsored shooter got HIS (which is what you really mean by "their") GM card, no one would bother whining about how it doesn't matter.

Was it a difficult accomplishment? Yes.
    Was it earned fair and square, same as everyone else? Yes.

So why try to diminish someone's accomplishment?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

My point is, anyone can practice classifiers and get a GM card. It does not very well define skill in the sport ..... as is referenced above. There is a guy I know who used to call up the RM at local matches and find out what classifier was going to be at the match. He'd practice it all week and then kill it. He made GM and used it to advance his career. He's never shot worth a crap at a major. Does this really denote skill? Does this really denote success in the sport?

Caleb I'm not trying to dog on you, but would anyone give a crap if some other sponsored shooter got their GM card? Would anyone even know who Jessie is if there wasn't a woman's HOA trophy?

If they are going to make ladies HOA trophies equal to the HOA for the match, then they need to do the same with the senior, super senior, LE, military, and junior trophies. Winning any of these categories is nice, but there is no reason for one to be respected as much as the one who wins the whole schebang. While we're at it, why not high A? high B? Where does it stop? It all smells like the "everyone gets a trophy" award.

As far as "only 5 or 6 GM's" ... So what? Is that so wrong? I just looked at the results from this years Nationals and aside from Eric crushing everyone, all the rest are in line with the top 5-6 shooting in 95%. I would go as far to say if you shoot 90% at a major you can be considered a GM. One would not deny that those who do that have earned their spot through consistency and skill. If you can't make that top 10% ... get back out on the range and practice. That's what the rest of us are doing to make it to the same place.

Why should I respect someone who has a grand bagger card but shows up and shoots 75%? I don't care if they are a Combat Vet, SWAT Sergeant, Sponsored Female, or 14 year old. If you carry that title it should denote your skill level. Not just be a trophy you got by playing the system.
    So, you'll be shooting against Jessie Duff head to head then?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Really?
    If you read my post, you'd even see where I gave an example of how someone did so. People have even discussed which are easiest to hit high percentage at ... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...showtopic=7632

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Maybe yes, maybe no.

But, I bet that if some other sponsored shooter got HIS (which is what you really mean by "their") GM card, no one would bother whining about how it doesn't matter.

Was it a difficult accomplishment? Yes.
    Was it earned fair and square, same as everyone else? Yes.

So why try to diminish someone's accomplishment?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    No one would be talking about it unless there was a press release ...

My whole point in this is that shooting classifiers to make it to the top level of the game (and to have notoriety as such) I feel diminishes the title and allows that person to hold a title they can't actually perform at.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    So, you'll be shooting against Jessie Duff head to head then?
    I have. I was at the same match and I beat her by several percentage points. Does that make me a Grand Grand Master?

I have. I was at the same match and I beat her by several percentage points. Does that make me a Grand Grand Master?
    No.

It also doesn't give you the right to mock her hard work.

No.

Am I mocking her hard work or pointing out that there is something wrong with a classification system which awards its highest level to someone who shoots on a middle-of-the-pack level? I would be just as vocal about this if it was a dude from Arizona or a cop from Chicago.

No.

I didn't see any mocking being done by Dr. No.
    #RESIST

User Tag List