Thread: Glock Trigger Reach

Glock Trigger Reach

I bought my first plastic pistols in October and I'm starting to see what the fuss is about. Until now, I've made do with my Browning P35 (bought in 1981) for bedside duty and a Kahr K9 (bought in 1998) for concealed carry. The Glock purchase was planned; the PPQ as a whim after trying the grip and trigger at the LGS. I shoot the PPQ more accurately, slightly, but prefer the Glock for its compactness and maintainability.

At the range I can get my hand solidly where I want it and groups are improving. When presenting from my belt (at home, empty, no holster yet) I find my hand position is not as solid, and I frequently (one out of five times?) present without being able to reach the trigger safety lever. My hands are not abnormally small (I wear a golf glove sized Medium-Large Cadet, which means medium large palms, shorter fingers). With a holster I'd be able to drive my hand down hard for proper positioning, but that doesn't seem like the right move for speed of presentation.

I had considered an aftermarket trigger that advertises reduced reach, but after reading this forum and Todd's blog, I'd like to stay Glock OEM parts, if possible.

So, is this a training issue, or do I need a hardware change? Germans tend to build in long trigger reach. The M&P does work for me, but I don't own one - is that the answer?

Sounds like a matter of establishing initial grip. I have small hands. Like its still tough to reach an extended slide release with my right thumb on my G17s and reaching the trigger has never presented an issue. What position are you drawing from?

You need the right holster, training and practice not toys.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by jon volk View Post
    Sounds like a matter of establishing initial grip. I have small hands. Like its still tough to reach an extended slide release with my right thumb on my G17s and reaching the trigger has never presented an issue. What position are you drawing from?
    Three o'clock, probably a pancake, but right now inside-waist-band, since I have no holster yet.

JodyH

You need the right holster, training and practice not toys.
    Okay, expected response. Would you care to elaborate on holsters and training?

Site Supporter
    I would skip the pancake holster and get a Blade-Tech belt holster, like this one:
    http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...r_1=BLADE-TECH
    I would probably get that holster first, before an IWB.

FWIW: I have small hands and I'm not having issues with a Gen3 or Gen4 glock trigger reach. I suspect you just need to get a holster and work on your grip and draw.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I would skip the pancake holster and get a Blade-Tech belt holster, like this one:

FWIW: I have small hands and I'm not having issues with a Gen3 or Gen4 glock trigger reach. I suspect you just need to get a holster and work on your grip and draw.

The Gen4 guns work very well for small hands. My 5' tall wife with tiny dainty hands has no problem with trigger reach on a Gen4 19. She is the extreme case...

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post

I'll order a Blade-Tech - thanks. There will be no IWB, though - that was only a reference to me having to stick the Glock into my pants to practice prior to getting a holster recommendation.

My wife has small hands and runs a G26 and a G19 without issue.

However, I have trained several people with disabilities that caused them to not be able to properly grip and or get a good trigger finger placement. That being said its hard to know what your issue may be without seeing the problem ( snap a few pictures and post them here).

Like the others have stated, get a holster and I would avoid sticking a glock in your pants, especially string to draw the gun from there or return it after firing. You can very easily shoot yourself, burn yourself and also drop the pistol, etc.

Glocks aren't a good fit for everyone, and I had the same trigger reach issue, it just wasn't ideal for me. I could shoot them well enough, but the ergos and trigger reach were always bothering me to no end. I don't own a Glock anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph B. View Post
    My wife has small hands and runs a G26 and a G19 without issue.

However, I have trained several people with disabilities that caused them to not be able to properly grip and or get a good trigger finger placement. That being said its hard to know what your issue may be without seeing the problem ( snap a few pictures and post them here).

Like the others have stated, get a holster and I would avoid sticking a glock in your pants, especially string to draw the gun from there or return it after firing. You can very easily shoot yourself, burn yourself and also drop the pistol, etc.
    Yes, I agree - Glocks should not be carried in the pants. I'm sorry my post made it appear that I did so, or would do so loaded. I did so simulating a holster while the firearm was unloaded.

I will post the pics of my grip. It's odd - my left and right hands are symmetrical, but while my grip with my left/weak hand is fine, with my right it is not. I've always blamed it on the greater musculature in my strong hand, but it may just be a bad grip.

User Tag List