Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: electronic ear muffs

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I dunno what CADPAT is, but I would guess I'm not HSLD enough for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like the color green. CADPAT (Canadian Pattern) has more green than Yoda:

Last edited by Peally; 09-18-2015 at 11:51 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I went through 3 pairs of Howard Leights over the past 4 years or so before buying a pair of the Sordin Supreme X at the begining of summer (with gel cups).

The HL always had issues after rain or high humidity or may just from my big head sweating so much during the summer.

But the Sordins.....wow. The gel cups are incredibly comfortable. I'm a little disappointed about the electronic hearing ability, it seems to really wash out with a breeze. But I've moved away from having to wear plugs under the muffs like I did with the HLs; these seal better and stay in place better. I still double up on the right ear when shooting rifles. I only shoot outdoors now, so I don't know if I'd need to double up if I went back to an indoor range.

If you can stomach the cost, I'd say they're more than worth the investment.

I've been using the Peltor Comtac II with gelcups. They've served me well and I have no complaints, but I don't do anything dangerous for a living either.

So I got my Sordin pro-x's in today and (take this for what it's worth since I haven't had a range visit yet) gonna be honest, I'm pretty dang disappointing all around with 'em. All I've got to compare with are a couple pairs of Howard Leights but everything sounds like it's really distant and underwater in comparison, even if it's me banging around on the car at close range. If I pay attention around a variable sound source like a TV I can also notice the volume very faintly fluttering and fluctuating and it drives me nuts. Throwing on the HL's everything sounds great and they're more quiet when they're off to boot.

About all they're doing for me over the HL's is they're a little more comfortable (using gel seal on the Sordins) but otherwise the HL's win in pretty much every respect. I'll hold off on a full verdict until I run them through a 3 gun match this Sunday but right now I'm sitting here wondering if I'm retarded or just got a lemon. Either way the ones I have don't justify $300 versus $40.

Also if I need to return these things it's going to be 70 bucks in restocking fees which is an expensive as hell experiment when I coulda bought a VP9. Us poor people can only buy nice things every once in a while
    Last edited by Peally; 09-18-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Also static, damn do the sordins have a lot of background fuzzy noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Also static, damn do the sordins have a lot of background fuzzy noise.
    I used to work some with ANR headsets, and am generally familiar with the technology.

That does not sound right to me...but I'm not sure, because I've never handle an MSA product.

Possible warranty issue?
    Last edited by RJ; 09-18-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Not sure just yet. I have a buddy that owns a pair so I'll compare hopefully this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    So I got my Sordin pro-x's in today and (take this for what it's worth since I haven't had a range visit yet) gonna be honest, I'm pretty dang disappointing all around with 'em. All I've got to compare with are a couple pairs of Howard Leights but everything sounds like it's really distant and underwater in comparison, even if it's me banging around on the car at close range. If I pay attention around a variable sound source like a TV I can also notice the volume very faintly fluttering and fluctuating and it drives me nuts. Throwing on the HL's everything sounds great and they're more quiet when they're off to boot.

About all they're doing for me over the HL's is they're a little more comfortable (using gel seal on the Sordins) but otherwise the HL's win in pretty much every respect. I'll hold off on a full verdict until I run them through a 3 gun match this Sunday but right now I'm sitting here wondering if I'm retarded or just got a lemon. Either way the ones I have don't justify $300 versus $40.

Also if I need to return these things it's going to be 70 bucks in restocking fees which is an expensive as hell experiment when I coulda bought a VP9. Us poor people can only buy nice things every once in a while

Send them back man. Hopefully you used SRStactical. They will take care of you. I e tried all of the popular electronic ear pro and by far sordins are the absolute clearest and most real sounding. (I've tried 3 different MSA's too)

Speaking of Sordin's....

Anyone got a line on a deal for one? Best I found was dsgarms for around $280ish.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I have a feeling you got a bum set. It does happen.

Mine are very clear, no buzzing or other weirdness. I would have bought mine through SRS if I hadn't found them secondary. Their custserv is superb.

As to the NRR issue, that article Orionz posted was something I read a while back and definitely helped sell me on the Sordins. My experience so far mirrors those findings.

I do think I'm going to order a pair of musicians/concert plugs to use with them for my Givens class next week. I've seen a few folks that claim they work well in conjunction with the Sordins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List