Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock OEM beavertail

Site Supporter
    I have been running my 17.4 with the beavertail for almost two years now. As much as I like the Glock I had to go to the bevertail because 50 rounds was enough to start the blood flowing. With my 20/21 I never had that problem, the extra 5% in all dimensions was enough to keep me unscathed. That said, I bought a 17 MOS, as a testbed for optics, the got bit by the Roland bug. Now my optics testbed is to be chopped to 19 length, and if I am going to do that I might as well get the trigger guard undercut, so the finger grooves are off kilter and will have to come off. So I might as well, have Dave Bowie add a beavertail.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I have had issues with the pins walking when using the larger back straps on Glocks, and since I seem to pretty agnostic about which back strap to use, I just run them bare so as to not deal with the pin walking.
    Pins walking in Glocks is a consequence of not ensuring the pins are centered.

I get Glock bite and run med beaver tails on my 17s and Large on my 19s. My two primary G17 Gen 4s are early models which predate the beaver tails coming with the guns. I’ve have no issues with the beaver tails coming loose.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-09-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Pins walking in Glocks is a consequence of not ensuring the pins are centered.

I get Glock bite and run med beaver tails on my 17s and Large on my 19s. My two primary G17 Gen 4s are early models which predate the beaver tails coming with the guns. I’ve have no issues with the beaver tails coming loose.
    I’m curious, why large on 19’s?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I’m curious, why large on 19’s?
    Specifically gen 4 19s. 19 has more / higher hump on the grip. With the med my hand doesn’t fully get up behind the gun.

I initially put the large on by mistake but when I swapped back to the med performance suffered.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Specifically gen 4 19s. 19 has more / higher hump on the grip. With the med my hand doesn’t fully get up behind the gun.

I initially put the large on by mistake but when I swapped back to the med performance suffered.
    I’m going to have to give that a try.

I just started running the large beavertail on my 19x. I wear xl gloves. Feels big but seems to lock my hand in more consistently than no beavertail or the medium size. Will run about 200 rounds through it this weekend and will measure the results.

On my old Gen4 G17 I ran the medium beavertail that I cut off about 5/8” below the pin. Gave me the protection from slide bite and kept most of the smaller grip. Worked great for me.

Not factory Glock beavertail related but I recently put a few rounds through a Gen3 17 that had had a beavertail added by Robar. The work looked clean and the gun felt good. No issues with getting cut as is the norm with unmodified Glocks.

Another beavertail I've been pleased with is the Gen 4 Glock 19 frame from Nomad Defense. It has an undercut trigger guard and a back strap that allows the shooter to choose between small, medium and large. Only complaint with the Nomad is the rear pin walking a little. The manufacturer tells me they've tightened this tolerance up on the latest shipments.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    On my old Gen4 G17 I ran the medium beavertail that I cut off about 5/8” below the pin.
    Boresight Solutions work:

PS--not my pistol. This is a photo Ben sent me while we were discussing beavertail options.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 04-18-2019 at 06:44 AM.

User Tag List