Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does this meet your safety standard?

As I mentioned in another post, we recently had an ND at my range with one of renters. Live round mixed in with dummies (people and ammo), resulted in 223 through a wall into our unoccupied office and one computer monitor down. Basic safety protocols completely ignored and pure luck no one was injured. Although I wouldn't be surprised if someone puts in a health and safety claim for hearing loss.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

It's been a while since I played with the stuff, but for those that are still in the loop can the military MILES stuff be used with non-functioning weapons or do you have to have a "real gun"?
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

MILES is activated by a sensor on the unit that detects pressure and vibration changes. We use to get aimed in on OPFOR and have another guy bump the sensor with his finger to make "silent shots".

Personally, the military should do away with MILES gear training, its about as effective as airsoft or a water balloon fight. Simmunition is the way to go, hell airsoft, paintball, BB gun war, anything is better than MILES.

In defense of MILES, the .mil takes a lot of control of live ammo, one would have to sneak it in for a mix up to happen (in my past experience), and a BFA means it's far less likely for a live round to go downrange.

I don't have the data in front of me to make the argument, but I would be willing to bet that simmunition would be cheaper in comparison to maintaining all of the miles gear and purchasing the blanks. However, I can promise the training value would be ten fold.

MILES, was better than nothing, back in the 80's, but there are better ways to train today.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph B. View Post
    MILES is activated by a sensor on the unit that detects pressure and vibration changes. We use to get aimed in on OPFOR and have another guy bump the sensor with his finger to make "silent shots".

Personally, the military should do away with MILES gear training, its about as effective as airsoft or a water balloon fight. Simmunition is the way to go, hell airsoft, paintball, BB gun war, anything is better than MILES.
    MILES is compatible with tank and aerial gunnery. And what is the max range of simunitions? Not to mention, I'm not sure simunitions/paint ball, etc., is really the way to go when you're talking entire divisions heading out for force-on-force, and you need to get all the REMFS suitably equipped. (Speaking as a retired -- nominal -- REMF.)

Mind you, the MILEs harness and helmet were a pain in the butt when we were still using Alice gear and steel pots, and they never redesigned them for k-pots or newer LBE.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    MILES is compatible with tank and aerial gunnery. And what is the max range of simunitions? Not to mention, I'm not sure simunitions/paint ball, etc., is really the way to go when you're talking entire divisions heading out for force-on-force, and you need to get all the REMFS suitably equipped. (Speaking as a retired -- nominal -- REMF.)

Mind you, the MILEs harness and helmet were a pain in the butt when we were still using Alice gear and steel pots, and they never redesigned them for k-pots or newer LBE.
    I can see where it would be relevant for tanks, etc. As for division level war games, I spent 10 years and 8 mths in the Army as an Infantryman and never once took part in anything above a Btn operation, in training or in Iraq. I know that stuff was pretty common back in the 80-90s preparing for the WW3 cold war model, but I doubt the Army will be going back to that any time soon. Maybe some of the Mech Divisions, but for the individual force on force training need, sims are more than perfect for the job.

ETA: 5.56 SIMS have a Max range of 140 meters.

User Tag List