Thread: Removing Extractor on a S&W4506

Removing Extractor on a S&W4506

I ended up with a few police trade-in 4506's. I want to remove the extractor and clean under it, but I am not sure if it is as simple as pounding out the pin from the bottom of the slide or if there is more to it than that. Is it that simple or more to it than that?

That's pretty much it; except I can't remember if you drive it out from the top or the bottom.

It only comes out through the bottom of the slide, as in you tap the pin out from the top and reinstall reverse.

Never pound that pin out through the top of the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    It only comes out through the bottom of the slide, as in you tap the pin out from the top and reinstall reverse.

Never pound that pin out through the top of the slide.
    And my stupid ass couldn't leave well enough alone and had that happen to me last night since I wasn't sure if that pin was seated well. I was under the impression that it would take a good amount of force to do that and to my surprise it didn't. Did I wreck my slide?

I forgot to add if it makes any difference, the wasn't knocked all the way out (maybe around 3/8") and I was able to get it back into place with no issue.

Factory says the pin hole is built with a taper, so could be you loosened things up a bit but shouldn't be the end of the world.

I get frustrated with internets diagnostics.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Factory says the pin hole is built with a taper, so could be you loosened things up a bit but shouldn't be the end of the world.

I get frustrated with internets diagnostics.........................
    I understand the difficulty and I am thankful you are giving me a hand with this. Is there any other possibly useful info I could provide short of seeing how it acts when I go shoot it?

If it's original to the gun then it's likely fitted. There are two parts to the 3rd gen guns that are fitted, the extractor being one of them.

Watch the pin while/after shooting, see if it starts walking out the top on the slide.

Extractor removal

I don't think S&W recommended removing the pin for even detail strip/cleaning, so all the work may be unnecessary. I clean behind them with a few shots of aerosol cleaner into the space between slide and extractor. I only take one out to fit/replace it.

They didn't as a routine detail cleaning measure, but I often found that it was needed.

User Tag List