Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Manny Bragg and trigger control

Manny Bragg and trigger control

My wife and I just finished up a two day tutorial with Manny Bragg at Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof, FL. For those that don't know him, Manny is not only a top USPSA shooter but a fantastic teacher. The facility at Universal is a shooter's dream, with almost unlimited shooting bays. This was the third time we have trained with Manny, and we can't wait to get back again. Between the two of us, we shot about 5,000 rounds over the two days, and I can't think of any rounds expended that felt wasted.

Something new from Manny this visit, was his breakdown of trigger manipulation. He describes four different types of trigger manipulation:

1) slapping the trigger

2) prep/pull

3) prep/roll

4) prep/squeeze (the difference between roll and squeeze being how fast you can do it)

To achieve the best combination of speed and accuracy, Manny consciously evaluates each shot, and tries to use the trigger technique appropriate to that difficulty shot. Using the example of an open target at 7, followed by an 8 inch steel at 20 yards, he slaps the trigger at 7, but uses prep/roll on the steel at 20. At 10 yards on the plate rack, he can slap the trigger with his 2011, where I, for example, need to prep/pull with my ability level and the Glock.

I found it very helpful to think of trigger manipulation this way, as a method of using the proper method of trigger control so for example, I don't slap when I should be prep/rolling. Here are some examples. Shooting two inch dots at 7 yards, I need to prep/roll. A FAST, I need to either prep/pull or prep/roll for the two to the 3x5, depending upon how hard I lock up, but I can slap on the body shots. Each day at Universal, we shot a B/C steel support hand only at 80 yards, and that obviously was prep/squeeze.

I have heard of different methods of trigger control before, but Manny's method described how I work the trigger, and is short enough, prep/pull or slap for example, that it works as a quick do list.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Interesting. What's his take on trigger re-set?

Flip and press, with your finger back on trigger as fast as possible in recoil, so you don't introduce wiggle with your finger touching the trigger after the sights have settled.

I had to chuckle at you leaving Alaska for Frostproof, FL.
    Sounds like very good training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slapping the trigger is not the malevolent evil that it's been made out to be by many Tactical Timmy trainers. I swear I think a lot of them say never to do it just because they hate "them gamers". Plus I've noticed that tactical types rarely emphasize a truly strong grip on the gun, and without that the results certainly won't be as desirable.

Eh.

Site Supporter
    Please define "pull", "roll" and "squeeze" as they relate to this topic. I'm always looking for more ways to learn, teach and execute trigger management.

I've also heard that Manny and company put on a really intensive and excellent firearms instructor program.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I either prep pull or prep roll (I'm not sure I can tell the difference) at varying speeds depending on range or tightness of shot. Slapping is a mystery to me. I think I'd have to take a class to learn how to slap a trigger; or learn how to recognize it. This also may have something to with why sub .20 splits are largely out of my league.

Maybe my formative years of pre-teen and teen years that were exclusively with DA K frames contributes to this mystery.

His stuff sounds like gold though.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Please define "pull", "roll" and "squeeze" as they relate to this topic. I'm always looking for more ways to learn, teach and execute trigger management.

I've also heard that Manny and company put on a really intensive and excellent firearms instructor program.
    Slap is straightforward -- just like you probably do to Darryl, but on the trigger. Prep/pull is prep, followed by a slap. Prep/roll is take-up followed by rolling the trigger through without any staging, and prep/squeeze is prep/roll, also without staging, but slower.

What was the light switch moment for me, was giving me a framework to formally do with the trigger what I did with less rigor and consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Slapping the trigger is not the malevolent evil that it's been made out to be by many Tactical Timmy trainers. I swear I think a lot of them say never to do it just because they hate "them gamers". Plus I've noticed that tactical types rarely emphasize a truly strong grip on the gun, and without that the results certainly won't be as desirable.

Eh.
    Okay…..here comes "Tactical Timmy". Here is the issue. Consistent grip. Wayne does most of the "Marksmanship" side when we do classes because he is exceptional at teaching it, especially the "Grip" and "Trigger press" part. The key to much of this is grip. Most of your top level sport shooters have not only an exceptionally good and well developed grip, it is also VERY consistent. A perfect or near perfect grip does a ton to place less reliance on the sights and the press. Here is my problem as a "Tactical Timmy". When I assessed many shootings and watched in field performance of LEO's over a career, I found that their grips were often bad/horrific for a variety of reasons. Startle starts to fights, improperly fit pistols, poor holsters, lack of good practice, lack of consistency, unconventional positions, weather and environmental issues, clothing, obstructions, injury, use of multiple pieces of force equipment at the same time, multi-tasking with other equipment, etc. Essentially, grip being hugely important was also that factor that was also the first thing and most likely part of the equation to be sacrificed. To counter this in training, I emphasized "sights" and "trigger press" as a means to make up for the lose of proper grip. We also heavily emphasize trying to start from a low or contact ready vs. from the holster if at all possible in order to "fix" the grip before the fight starts.

As far as the press itself. How much time do you have to dedicate to the press and where do you dedicate? I had (and personally these days this fits me as well) only a set amount of time and ammunition to impart on my shooters. That was devoted to trying to over-learn and making a trigger press an almost sub-conscious process that was optimized for the particular action of the shooters primary shooting platform. The reason for this is simple-during the shootings I was in, I couldn't really "feel" what my trigger finger was doing. I knew it had to go straight to the rear with a proper application, I could feel it moving, BUT I had very little true tactile sensation or input. It was probably there, but other parts of my brain were overriding it with more important inputs, most of which was visual (another plus of the LEM is that you can see your press and reset in your peripheral). So, strictly based on my own experience, I like to use a consistent optimal press for the action that is not grip dependent to work. Reasoning for me is that if my grip is simply stupendous for the incident, then I am REALLY good. If my grip is compromised for any reasoning, I can overcome it with press and sights. Trust me, I have seen the results of slapping the crap out of a trigger without a solid and consistent grip and it is ugly……especially if the sights are not used as well. The biggest issue with the LEM was kind of figuring out how to press it. This was the same with all the other actions we use. They all seem to have a means to best work their triggers respective to their individual traits. I try to optimize a single press that is best for what I am carrying and shooting. It is why I have to take a deep breath, and really consciously think when I use a students pistol to demo something or check sights when their pistol is different from mine.

Overall, I get why many top sport shooters are able to slap a trigger very efficiently. I also get that you can optimize the type of press you will use for a specific target based on range and level of accuracy needed. For what they are doing, it is highly viable. For those who shoot nothing but "two way surprise matches" messing the slap method up can easily result in a very bad 2nd place finish.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Okay…..here comes "Tactical Timmy". Here is the issue. Consistent grip. Wayne does most of the "Marksmanship" side when we do classes because he is exceptional at teaching it, especially the "Grip" and "Trigger press" part. The key to much of this is grip. Most of your top level sport shooters have not only an exceptionally good and well developed grip, it is also VERY consistent. A perfect or near perfect grip does a ton to place less reliance on the sights and the press. Here is my problem as a "Tactical Timmy". When I assessed many shootings and watched in field performance of LEO's over a career, I found that their grips were often bad/horrific for a variety of reasons. Startle starts to fights, improperly fit pistols, poor holsters, lack of good practice, lack of consistency, unconventional positions, weather and environmental issues, clothing, obstructions, injury, use of multiple pieces of force equipment at the same time, multi-tasking with other equipment, etc. Essentially, grip being hugely important was also that factor that was also the first thing and most likely part of the equation to be sacrificed. To counter this in training, I emphasized "sights" and "trigger press" as a means to make up for the lose of proper grip. We also heavily emphasize trying to start from a low or contact ready vs. from the holster if at all possible in order to "fix" the grip before the fight starts.

As far as the press itself. How much time do you have to dedicate to the press and where do you dedicate? I had (and personally these days this fits me as well) only a set amount of time and ammunition to impart on my shooters. That was devoted to trying to over-learn and making a trigger press an almost sub-conscious process that was optimized for the particular action of the shooters primary shooting platform. The reason for this is simple-during the shootings I was in, I couldn't really "feel" what my trigger finger was doing. I knew it had to go straight to the rear with a proper application, I could feel it moving, BUT I had very little true tactile sensation or input. It was probably there, but other parts of my brain were overriding it with more important inputs, most of which was visual (another plus of the LEM is that you can see your press and reset in your peripheral). So, strictly based on my own experience, I like to use a consistent optimal press for the action that is not grip dependent to work. Reasoning for me is that if my grip is simply stupendous for the incident, then I am REALLY good. If my grip is compromised for any reasoning, I can overcome it with press and sights. Trust me, I have seen the results of slapping the crap out of a trigger without a solid and consistent grip and it is ugly……especially if the sights are not used as well. The biggest issue with the LEM was kind of figuring out how to press it. This was the same with all the other actions we use. They all seem to have a means to best work their triggers respective to their individual traits. I try to optimize a single press that is best for what I am carrying and shooting. It is why I have to take a deep breath, and really consciously think when I use a students pistol to demo something or check sights when their pistol is different from mine.

Overall, I get why many top sport shooters are able to slap a trigger very efficiently. I also get that you can optimize the type of press you will use for a specific target based on range and level of accuracy needed. For what they are doing, it is highly viable. For those who shoot nothing but "two way surprise matches" messing the slap method up can easily result in a very bad 2nd place finish.
    Spoken from experience, awesome.

@ GJM, hope you had an UPLULA, that's an insane round count for two days.

User Tag List