Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improving the Reload

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAP View Post
    I'm not sure how easy it will be to know it is coming in a stressful situation but if we can identify it quickly it will shave some wasted time. The surprise of slide lock can really slow us down.
    IME, the surprise is worth .25s. But, working on the known reload seems to have made it easier to feel the different recoil impulse to detect the 'surprise' lock-back more quickly. Time will tell, I will be dedicating more range sessions to reloads over the next month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by TAP View Post
    Are you talking about your follow through after you slide lock but before you reload?
    Yes. I wasn't activating my "I have to reload" process fast enough. I am trying to doing it based on the differing recoil rather than the visual indications.

I feel like this hitch in my reload was developed from slow fire, precise, controlled range time ...

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    Reloads can just as easily be practiced in dry fire
    This. A couple years ago I decided to do a lot of dry fire practice that included quicker reloads. My reloads are routinely in the 1.5-1.7 range from concealment.

Site Supporter
    1.5 is pretty quick, is that from a closed front shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    How do you practice a slidelock reload on a Glock, dry-fire? Just lock the slide back and start from there?

Doesn't using the slide release button without rounds in the mag damage the pistol?
    Yes, just lock the slide back. Avoiding putting undue stress on the barrel lug would surely be worth the use of dummy rounds. I use snap caps, but if you reload - or have a buddy who does - it would be much better to load some rounds without powder or primer and paint it an obvious color. My snap caps are all falling apart from thousands of repetitions as the top round in the magazine while practicing reloads - slide lock and not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    I think I read on Way of the Multigun that he found a good detail was angling the opening of the magwell towards the magpouch you're reloading from (as you're holding the pistol up in your workspace). It seems like it makes it a much smoother, more efficient "A to B" movement.

I'd like to try it, but my guns are in America, and I'm in Korea. Anybody try this? Is it worth training and ingraining?
    I find it's better to angle my magwell specifically towards the orientation that my magazine is in my hand when it's coming out of the mag holder, not just toward the mag pouch. Bringing the gun to the mag, but keeping it in my workspace.

I also find it's helpful to watch the magazine drop free, and acquire the far edge of the magwell with my eyes, and pausing just before the mag goes in, to make sure the gun is aligning itself properly. These steps have allowed me to nail sub-1 second reloads pretty consistently out of a USPSA Production rig (with a SIG 226).
    Last edited by DonovanM; 06-03-2011 at 11:47 AM.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    1.5 is pretty quick, is that from a closed front shirt?
    NO, i'm sure it would be over 2 with a shirt. A 'shoot me first' vest I use in IDPA.

I think this one is close to the 1.5 sec. This is an older video of me from about a year and a half ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbx_wbIsHRM
    Last edited by KeeFus; 06-03-2011 at 03:41 PM.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    I find it's better to angle my magwell specifically towards the orientation that my magazine is in my hand when it's coming out of the mag holder, not just toward the mag pouch.
    They're one and the same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    They're one and the same for me.
    Same.

In terms of orientation, the gun is high and pretty much right in my face. I find the easiest way for me to describe it is that when I'm looking straight ahead, the gun is essentially oriented such that I'm looking through the trigger guard. Since I like to index the fresh mag with the tip of my index finger on the nose of the top round (since I have xbawks hueg hands), this tends to make the gun and incoming magazine all line up at about the same angle.

At least that's what I've come up with that works for me. For some reason I find running 1R2s to be a lot of fun.

Interesting topic guys. Im finding im having a hard time actually indexing my magazines to get them into the well of my G19. For whatever reason i dont have this issue on my M&P. Im wondering if its the angle at which im holding the gun or the slightly less tapered top of the Glock magazine as opposed to the M&P.

Any thoughts? Here are some videos. Im the guy in the Blue shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxk8tnyop8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phy95...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gu81...eature=related

Not the best videos in the world but they show a few fumbled reloads. Im hoping you guys can point out some areas where i can speed up or try some different techniques.

Site Supporter
    I have the same issue on the Glock 19. Have you ever compared the mag well of a 17 and a 19?

I was surprised how much bigger it is on the 17, specifically in the front strap area.
    Last edited by JV_; 06-05-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Jv,

Ive been told that before and yeah man, a definite improvement going from the 19 to the 17 but the 17 is out of the question for me as its not an interesting firearm to me.

The 19 right now is my CCW and my competition gun.

I would say i could potentially bevel my own magwell but there is almost no material to remove there.

Short of looking into the darned well (which i do glance at) im not sure how i can speed up my indexing.

User Tag List