Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving the Reload

Site Supporter

Improving the Reload

Normally, I'm getting a 2.4'ish reload with a closed front shirt (on a good day). A few weekends ago, I was shooting with joshs and ToddG; they spent 15 minutes trying to identify where I was losing time. I took their advise and finally got around to dedicating a range session to reloads.

This evening, I broke 2.0!! Mid practice session, I got a 1.97 and a 1.98 followed by a slew of 2.0x reloads.

I still have a lot of work to ingrain the fixes. It's amazing how valuable the pointers are from two accomplished shooters. This is a great example of why you should practice with folks who can challenge you.

Thanks joshs and ToddG!!
    Last edited by JV_; 06-02-2011 at 06:53 PM.

What changes did you make to increase your speed? 0.4 sec is a great decrease in a short amount of time.

Site Supporter
    Faster identification of a slide lock, especially if I know it's coming. I needed to get my support hand down to my mag much faster, and start doing it sooner.

I was also doing too much follow through, almost getting another sight picture.

Site Supporter
    Awesome dude, that's a huge improvement in such a short time!

Reloads can just as easily be practiced in dry fire
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

That's great...I need some one on one eval myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    Reloads can just as easily be practiced in dry fire
    How do you practice a slidelock reload on a Glock, dry-fire? Just lock the slide back and start from there?

Doesn't using the slide release button without rounds in the mag damage the pistol?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

I think I read on Way of the Multigun that he found a good detail was angling the opening of the magwell towards the magpouch you're reloading from (as you're holding the pistol up in your workspace). It seems like it makes it a much smoother, more efficient "A to B" movement.

I'd like to try it, but my guns are in America, and I'm in Korea. Anybody try this? Is it worth training and ingraining?

Site Supporter
    Yes, I try to angle the mag well toward the pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Faster identification of a slide lock, especially if I know it's coming.
    I'm not sure how easy it will be to know it is coming in a stressful situation but if we can identify it quickly it will shave some wasted time. The surprise of slide lock can really slow us down.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I was also doing too much follow through, almost getting another sight picture.
    Are you talking about your follow through after you slide lock but before you reload?

User Tag List