Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Improving the Reload

Josh,

Good feedback.

Some things i have done over the past year is to ensure that when i do grip the magazine coming out of the pouch i am doing so in a consistent and repeatable manner. Having a good grip on the mag right from the get go is pretty darned important.

The slide catch...thats a tricky one. My initial training taught me to always come over the top to release the slide via powerstroke. The methodology behind that makes sense and i agree with it however in my current outlook on shooting im more interested in getting faster for competitive purposes. I KNOW i can do both methods so they're available to me should i need to call on them.

Thumbing the catch may be a concession going just a bit too far for me right now.

Anyone have any benchmarks for reload speeds?

For example, a 4 second FAST is...lightening fast.
    A 5 second FAST is pretty darned fast
    A 6 second FAST seems to be attainable for the average, experienced shooter.

Excellent article on slidestop-v-overhand.
    Not a bad reload demo either
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/160

Site Supporter
    Just to be clear, I was referring to using your strong hand thumb to hit the release instead of your weak hand thumb. I was not advocating using the overhand method.

As far as benchmarks go, for a closed front cover garment, consistently around 2.5s is pretty good and 2s is very good. Improving beyond 2s takes a lot of work for very little pay off. My current personal best for a closed front cover garment is a 1.45, but I am way more comfortable in the 1.6-1.8 range. But, I do a lot of reload practice because I shoot USPSA Production, where reloads can be very important, and I want to win a coin.

All of the times listed are for a planned reload (still slide lock), a surprise reload adds around .35 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Interesting topic guys. Im finding im having a hard time actually indexing my magazines to get them into the well of my G19. For whatever reason i dont have this issue on my M&P. Im wondering if its the angle at which im holding the gun or the slightly less tapered top of the Glock magazine as opposed to the M&P.

Any thoughts? Here are some videos. Im the guy in the Blue shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxk8tnyop8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phy95...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gu81...eature=related

Not the best videos in the world but they show a few fumbled reloads. Im hoping you guys can point out some areas where i can speed up or try some different techniques.
    There are more knowledgeable folks around than me but I didn't notice a couple things in the videos that may help.

1. It looked like the gun might be a little low when you are inserting the mag (too close to your body and too far under your chin). If the gun was a little higher and a little further out in front of you it may improve your line of sight into the mag well.
    2. It aslo appeared to me like your eyes moved back to the target slightly before the mag was fully started into the well. It may only be a split second before but when dealing with something that has such a small margin of error it may be the difference between a smooth insertion and catching the top of the mag on the side of the well.

This may not be be the case and may not be of benefit to you but in my opinion it may be worth looking into. When I practice my reloads at home I make sure to do everything slowly and focus on being smooth then very, very gradually speed up once I feel like the reloads are as smooth as possible (slow is smooth, smooth is fast thing). If I botch one and do something wrong, I slow back down and practice some more at that slower speed.

Magz one thing that stands out in all three vids on your reloads is that you retract the pistol into your workspace WHILE hitting the mag release. When you do that you're fighting gravity. You might want to think about keeping the gun level until the mag falls freely and then retracting the pistol for the incoming magazine.

I tried to get 5 perfect reloads in a row on tape. I fumbled the 5th one a little bit, but oh well.

I don't know why I keep flapping my fingers around like that on the gun. Weird!

Any comments/critiques are welcome

(No, the Huggies were not for me)

All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Magz one thing that stands out in all three vids on your reloads is that you retract the pistol into your workspace WHILE hitting the mag release. When you do that you're fighting gravity. You might want to think about keeping the gun level until the mag falls freely and then retracting the pistol for the incoming magazine.
    Pretty sure that will help with the drop free issue im having too.

Good feedback, thank you.

I've been silently following this thread and thought I would chime in - I've been practicing my reloads pretty religously lately and have found that "shocker alert" practice helps. In fact, I shot a steel match last Sunday and on one string I had a complete brain fart and didn't swith mags, ran dry, had a complete surprise lock back and reloaded without thinking to finish the string. Turns out I shot that faster than I shot the previous string (reloads good - transitions bad)

Also, I recently took a mini-class in which the instructor advocated activating the slide lock with the weak hand thumb, rational was that you could restablish your grip with the strong hand after dropping the mag and then activate the slide lock and reestablish the weak hand grip during the press out. This assumes that you can't reach all the controls without altering your strong hand grip which is a reality for a lot of people. I haven't spent any time in dry fire to decide whether or not I like the idea, just thought I'd put it out there.

User Tag List