Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Negligent Discharges

I had 1 ND when I was about 12. Growing up my dad was very strict about muzzle dicipline but I wasn't ever exposed to all the safety precautions I take now. One day while at the house by myself I was messing around with a 35 Remington pump action that I deer hunted with. Typically our guns were never loaded in the house but for some reason, on that particular day, the 35 was. When I picked it up and saw that it was loaded I proceeded to unloaded it in the house (which I was taught NOT to do). The only way to empty that gun is to cycle the rounds out one by one so I pointed it towards the ceiling, ejected the first round and sent the second into the chamber, apparently with my finger on the trigger. After the deafening report from the muzzle and the famous WTF moment, I saw a ray of light coming from outside and realized just how close I had come to seriously jacking up my world. It took several minutes of standing there like a statue before could muster up the courage to put the safety on, walk outside, and clear the gun safely. That was possibly the scariest moment of my life. Knock on wood, that is the only one I have had.

I witnessed one at a class a couple years ago that shook everyone present to the core. Throughout the class I was on the line next to a guy who could not, for the life of him, keep his trigger finger out of the trigger guard of his Sig when it didn't need to be there. It got bad enough that towards the end of the class the instructor warned him that if he didn't get his problem fixed asap he would have to leave and wouldn't be allowed to come back. That statement actually worked for the remainder of the class until the end of the class when we had a competition to put into use what we had learned that day. The competition included shooting and moving from different positions, several mag changes, and ended with 2 shots on a swiveling hostage target from behind cover. The first shot on the hostage target was to be fired around the right side of cover, then a transition to weak hand, and another shot on the target from the other side of cover. Apparently, everything this moron ever learned about safely handling a handgun went out the window halfway through his run, under the crushing stress of a shot timer as he was moving across the range to engage the hostage target. As he went to transition to his weak hand he apparently left his finger inside the trigger guard, again, which caused him to put a round just between his feet when he aquired his weak hand grip. Due to the narrow stance he had taken as not to expose his feet around the cover, the 9mm round was only a couple inches from either foot. To further add to the horror of the situation, myself and several other students observed this collosal F up from the deck where we had all landed after seeing the business end of this guy's Sig as he was running across the range to the last barricade. I hate to imagine what could have happened had that ND happened while his muzzle was pointed in the direction of the rest of the class.

To the instructors credit, he tried everything in the world to safely make the guy better. I understand in his mind that is his job but I wouldn't have minded to finish the class without that individual. He also couldn't see the guy muzzle us from where he was (following with the timer) before he almost shot himself in the foot. After the class I told the instructor that I planned on taking another one of his classes as long as that guy wasn't there to which he promptly informed me that he would not be back.

Just a reminder. Don't become complacent. RIP

I've never had an ND, it's always been the gun's fault.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

.177 ND...

I have had one instance of this in my life. I was at my mother's house taking care of a 13 line ground squirrel problem. It was hot, a long day, as there were tons of these critters. I went in for a drink. Surely I cleared it before I came in. Well, we all know what assume does. I got in the sliding glad door, closed it, and dropped whatever was in my hand, with the other hand firmly gripping the barrel just above the stock, the butt resting on the carpet. I squatted to grab what I had dropped, muzzle pointed in a safe direction. When I did, my pocket somehow snagged the trigger, sending a hollow point pellet at 1000 GPS glancing off the wall and into the ceiling.

I don't think I have ever felt like more of a tool in my life. Muzzle awareness is always key obviously, as well as the other golden rules. Not hard to see why there are several, redundant rules. Pellet or no, it still gave me that wake up call.

Seen on another forum : 4 safety rules for Glocks ( on top of the goldOen rules, and also works for CC guns with no safety ) 1) Keep your finger straight and off the trigger. 2) Keep your finger off the God damn trigger. 3) Keep your God damn finger off the trigger. 4) Keep your God damn finger off the God damn trigger.

Remember...when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rains on Parades View Post
    While I didn't pull the trigger, I consider myself to have participated in this ND.
    I can relate.

A former roommate got his first optically-sighted rifle, a baseline Savage 110 in .30-'06 with a 3-9X optic. Pretty typical deer rifle. He kept it in his closet with a full magazine and an empty chamber and, the first Saturday night after he'd brought it home, he cleared the mag and I heard him dry-firing it in his room.

I wandered in and he was laying across his king-size bed, dry-firing at the wooded slope across the street (we were on the third floor, with a fairly busy intersection right below us.) I flopped down next to him and called out a target or two "The garage sale sign to your nine-o-clock." *CLICK!* "That rock between those pines to your two." *CLICK!*

This went on for a bit and he got done dry-firing and started talking to me. As we were talking, he absently started thumbing rounds into the magazine to put the gun away again. He was propped up on one elbow, still looking at me and talking as he ran the bolt forward and, like in slow motion, the thought formed in my head "Oh shit. He didn't hold the top round in the mag down. He just chambered a live rou..." *BANG!*

A .30-'06 in a smallish apartment bedroom is loud. The muzzle blast of a .30-'06 less than a foot away from some miniblinds will seriously mess them up. Modern upscale apartment complexes are remarkably soundproof, and can act as a large, single-chamber suppressor for even a major caliber rifle, preventing drivers at an intersection three stories below from hearing a single report overhead.

I have never, ever done dryfire stuff with the ammunition in the same room again and, to the best of my knowledge, neither has he.

So, I haven't had an ND of my own (knock on wood) but I'm not entirely off the hook for this one. (Or the other one. But that's another story.)
    Last edited by Tamara; 07-23-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Wow. What stopped the round?
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Let's see. I had two ND's in one weekend, which were massive wake up calls. Thankfully they both ended up in sand/dirt.

ND #1 on Saturday:
    I was instructing some brand new shooters on the final gun they wanted to shoot for the day, a Taurus .44mag. The entire time I was stressing the power of the cartridge and the importance of safety. The irony was ridiculous.

As I was teaching one shooter, I stopped him for a reason I can't remember, and he put the gun down with it cocked into single action. I took that opportunity to instruct them how to "safely" drop the hammer on a revolver without firing it. While facing and talking to them behind me. With my left hand middle finger right next to the forcing cone. It's supposed to be thumb on hammer, then press the trigger...*WHAM*

Whoops.

Thankfully I had the presence of mind to keep the muzzle pointed downrage, and it impacted the berm. I somehow managed to remain completely calm as I contemplated whether or not I had just shot my left hand with a .44. I excused myself, identified the blood pouring out of my middle finger, and bandaged it. Thankfully, I just had flayed several layers of skin off my middle finger, and still have some powder embedded in there to this day. I now clear a loaded revolver cocked into single action by shooting it.

ND #2 on Sunday:
    Pretty straight forward. Finally got the time off to shoot a USPSA match for once, was in the middle of a round hoser stage, called a poor shot, made it up, which tossed my plan into disarray. As I was speed reloading I was already thinking about how I was going to recover shooting the next target array. Well, my finger took that as it's cue to pull the trigger, and before I had even seated the mag, I had already launched a round over the top of the berm. Thankfully, there was a pretty damn big hill behind the berm. Go DQ'd of course. By one of the local GM's. While shooting in the super squad. I felt like the world's biggest tool.

Moral of the story? SLEEP. I was running on four hours of sleep total over the previous three days, and it was showing. Total lack of concentration caused both ND's. The first incident changed how I handle revolvers, the second incident forced me to rethink and retrain my reload technique, with intentional placement of my trigger finger THE FUCK away from the trigger during reloads.
    JP Visual Design

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Wow. What stopped the round?
    Lightly-wooded hillside across the street.

Thankfully he was getting off that "one last dry-fire snap" rather than just dropping the striker because, while it would have been tough to accidentally put one into the street from the angle he was at, if he'd just elevated the muzzle and pulled the trigger before putting the gun away, there was nothing but subdivisions on the far side of that berm for miles and miles.

More ND stories...less real NDs...

I am thoroughly enjoying reading these. The more the better. I could read these for hours if we had them. It makes you think, and also makes you realize all of the different possible scenarios that might / could / can / will cause an ND. There is no better tool for learning than the experience of others. Be it one of the instructors teaching while standing beside you at the range, or reading these great forums of people's real life experiences with holsters, guns, CC advice, or NDs like this, it all helps. Just from this site, we can learn how to save a few bucks, or save a life. Some of the best reading on firearms I have seen on the net. Nice to see everyone helping each other. World could use a lot more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I've had two, about 10 years apart, both much the same. A distraction while doing whatever I was doing, then going back to the gun and messing up the sequence without it registering.
    I know someone who blew his leg off at the knee, doing this with a 12ga. He was unloaded, got interrupted and left it laying on his bed. When he returned, he sat down and pulled the shotgun toward himself. A wrinkle caught the trigger...
    AKA Pete Sheppard
    Powder Smoke: The smell of FREEDOM!

User Tag List