Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Negligent Discharges

I'm into Coolfire as well, and I like using the Ring's blue magazines to duplicate gun weight. I have the yellow replacement plastic barrels, and I like those as well, but man, that Coolfire plus weighted blue plastic mags gives me a combo of safety and fidelity that I love.

I will say that Gabe White's dry fire guidance is the most thoughtfully, purposefully safe dry fire technique, independent of technology, that I've ever encountered.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Tried to grab some of those weighted mags on amazon, but it went nowhere and seller didn’t respond. I have inert training rounds when needed. They visibly don’t have primers, and the bases are painted, and I’ll normally put one snap cap on top when I use them.

Yeah, that magazine purchase was one of the weirder online buying experiences that I've had. The mags that I found were G33 .357 Sig mags, I bought them, and it was no-kidding months before they arrived, and I got them each seperately, with about 6 weeks between receving the first and the last.

My recollection is that Glock is highly opposed to sales of blue guns/mags to the non-professional community, and so the transactions that occur are "gray market".

I do like using snap caps as well!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I use a Magpul mag stuffed with lead fishing weights to the correct weight of a loaded mag... Just take the mag apart and drop in the weights and reassemble with the spring and follower as usual. Buy some various sizes to tune the weight and use some of the larger ones, mashed with a vise or hammer, to fit at the top of the mag so they are jammed in place but not poking through. I'd include a picture but Tapatalk is not uploading pics for me right now.

Okay... Now it's working.

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences--excellent reminders/teaching points.

We've talked about these elsewhere and not all are fans, but I use Laserlyte laser training cartridges in dry fire (there are other--and cheaper--brands, but they are the only ones I have personal experience with). In addition to serving as a snap cap, unlike snap caps, they do not have an extractor rim and stay in (and obstruct, preventing chambering a live round) the chamber until they are manually removed by pushing them out with a pencil eraser or similar. They won't save you from all of the potential mental errors, but do add another measure. After installing and before starting a dry fire string, I lock the slide open and press the "primer" end of the chambered trainer with a finger to make sure I see the laser flash. I use the weighted dummy mags, as well--I believe my newer one was molded with the follower pinned so that the slide does not lock open.

Site Supporter
    ND's occur at gun shows and gun shops. I have seen guys become angry because somebody else checked a weapon that they had brought in for repair or trade. Many years ago dry firing was not nearly as common as it is today. I think that this practice contributes to number of nd's. This past dove season I carried two shotguns. Always I clean guns after hunting, but this trip was an exception. One of these guns was still loaded despite my thinking that I had unloaded both.
    I discovered this fact after waiting a few days to store them in the safe. I was horrified. I assign the cause to age.
    I can think of no other reason.

Having taught many kids, I knew four who were killed in gun accidents. This number does not include the larger number killed by guns in homicides. All were young black makes killed by other young black males.

User Tag List