Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suck in USPSA but good in IDPA

I thought about loading my mags up all the way but it seemed a little gamey.

I'll check out those books.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Video of what I mean about the number 2 position.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?462-A-proper-2
    Aahhh. I've been bringing my gun way too high before pressing out. I've actually hit my chin with the rear sight when really "going for it" in dryfire.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Caleb, you are getting seriously trolled.
    Ya think?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Get Anderson's or Stoeger's dryfire books. They'll help a lot. Your draw is a little slow, I'm going to guess that your reloads, transitions, and stage planning are lacking as well. In IDPA you've got 1 or 2 reloads per stage where as in USPSA Prod. you might have 5. Transitions are really where most people are killing themselves. Open A zones out to about 10 yards, 1 yard apart or less, your transitions should match your splits, if you are slower than that it is really something to work on.

You might think about shooting Limited if you want to focus on the shooting aspects for a little while. Production has a lot more stage planning aspects with the limited capacity.
    Better yet: Take a Steve Anderson and/or Stoeger classes.....that helped me a lot.

2nd the recommendation on dry-fire books.

Areas that I have found quite different:
    1) USPSA uses a lot more surrender position and surrender position uprange. Work on improving speed and turning and shooting quickly, especially starting uprange.
    2) USPSA reloading is quite different and you have to do stage planning much differently. Going to slide-lock is still a bad habit of mine, but it wastes time in USPSA;
    3) Physical movement takes time, and I found the extra 20 pounds I carry and my less-than-adequate exercise routine works against me. So, cutting back on portions and calories and off to the gym at least 3 times a week. Focus on quick, explosive movement when you need to get TO a shooting position quickly. Don't forget the good shoes!
    4) USPSA penalizes you more harshly for any misses for Failure to Engage, so make sure you get all your targets.
    5) If you are going to continue in both, I find it better to compete in Limited-10 because the round counts are the same (for SSP and ESP), and consistency prevents mistakes. (With the excitement after the buzzer, being surrounded by gunsmoke, with the crowds cheering you on in the background, your body might think you are shooting the other sport!!!)

Sounds like you will enjoy the challenge....be safe and get Steve's books.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

We are diminished
    You made M in IDPA with a 2.3s draw? That's 32 seconds just to break your first shot 14 times (not accounting for any added time when turning with the draw, drawing on the move, or drawing from behind cover). So one-third of the total time you have for making M got used up firing 14 out of 90 shots. I'm having a hard time believing that.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    You made M in IDPA with a 2.3s draw? That's 32 seconds just to break your first shot 14 times (not accounting for any added time when turning with the draw, drawing on the move, or drawing from behind cover). So one-third of the total time you have for making M got used up firing 14 out of 90 shots. I'm having a hard time believing that.
    2.3 seconds is just a rough average. Some better, some worse . I did some dryfire this morning with my par time at 2 seconds trying the "proper 2" technique. Easily hitting under 2 seconds. I can't wait to try this out in live fire.

I also am thinking that I shouldn't be bringing the gun as high as my sight line before the press out. Gonna play around with that a little.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by goosehunter View Post
    Thoughts?
    On the sub-issue of the draw, video would help us offer useful suggestions.

As for IDPA vs. USPSA, I am not surprised at the difference or the emotional shock at the difference. I was a bit shocked at first that I could shoot the IDPA Classifier well under the M threshold, but initially classified B in USPSA.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Caleb, you are getting seriously trolled.

OP, wear your fishing vest next time to the USPSA classifier match, as you must have had a bad day -- I think IDPA master translates more like a low USPSA B, than a C.
    I still think GJM was correct but its a fun topic to air out in a candid no sacred cows fashion anyway.

I am a decent pistol shot and found my two USPSA matches this year soul crushingly difficult. The complexity of executing a fast plan, actually fastly, with all that noise going on? Dayim!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Ya think?
    Yeah, I bit on this one.

Are you going from indoor to outdoor shooting? Most of the indoor IDPA matches I've been to had very little movement, and it was heavily scripted. Don't forget to RUN when you need to.

User Tag List