Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suck in USPSA but good in IDPA

There are a ton of factors that might result in the difference. Stage planning could be a big part of it, particularly stage planning to your strengths.

How to get better? Suck less.

Getting your shooting skills, and the non-shooting gun handling better would be a good start (remember you spend more time doing that than shooting in many stages). 2.3 seconds is a long draw time, from USPSA gear it should really be closer to 1.5 seconds or less for an open target within 10 yards. IMO you should also be able to make 25 yard lower A zone hits on demand at a minimum, and preferable be able to make head shots on demand at those distances.

As far as stage planning, I am always looking at reload points, how to do as many of those on the move while still having shots in the magazine for make ups. But also know when making up shots aren't worth the time (typically when it will force a reload).

Quote Originally Posted by goosehunter View Post
    I'm classified Master in IDPA but only classified as a C shooter at a local club classifier match at the local indoor range.

What gives with this? Pretty much hanging my head right now. I'm not sure how I can be better at both sports.
    Its been said that a master in IDPA is pretty much a high C low B in USPSA. Its just a harder sport. IDPA limits stage designers too much in my opinion. Rules such as a specific number of no shoot to shoot targets, no strong hand shots past 10 yards no weak hand shots past 7, low round count stages. Its simply not as challenging. With the new rules out about not being able to move and reload I doubt I will ever attend an IDPA match again. In my opinion its gone full retard.
    Pat

Good advice so far.

#1. What should I do to improve my draw?

#2. I find myself pulling my gun into retention before I move.

Should I train differently?

Good advice so far.

#1. What should I do to improve my draw?

#2. I find myself pulling my gun into retention before I move.

Should I train differently?
    1 - This week's drill of the week would be a good way to do it (without the concealment garment), I am a huge fan of practicing shooting at increasing distances. Also do it at a fixed distance with a decreasing par time. If you can do it consistently at 2.3 seconds, set the par time to 2.0 and try it. Push it until you start missing, and then back off. Work that for a couple of weeks and try pushing it faster again.

2 - We had this conversation in one of the other forums a few months ago. IMO don't do it, others might disagree, but I don't pull into a proper #2 position (and my definition is Southnarc's version) unless I need it.

What is #2 position?

My current draw routine.

Buzzer (contact), right hand to gun, establish grip, bring gun to chest, establish grip with left hand, press out to target, then fire.

This is the best description I can do without figuring out how to start up a YouTube channel.

What is #2 position?
    Retention by your breast, see the "Proper #2" in one of the forums above this one.

My current draw routine.

Buzzer (contact), right hand to gun, establish grip, bring gun to chest, establish grip with left hand, press out to target, then fire.
    That is the gist of what everyone else does too. Honestly beyond drills, and simple suggestions you are going to need professional instruction by someone that knows you want to get faster.

Links? Videos?

My search fu is weak.

Video of what I mean about the number 2 position.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?462-A-proper-2

Get Anderson's or Stoeger's dryfire books. They'll help a lot. Your draw is a little slow, I'm going to guess that your reloads, transitions, and stage planning are lacking as well. In IDPA you've got 1 or 2 reloads per stage where as in USPSA Prod. you might have 5. Transitions are really where most people are killing themselves. Open A zones out to about 10 yards, 1 yard apart or less, your transitions should match your splits, if you are slower than that it is really something to work on.

You might think about shooting Limited if you want to focus on the shooting aspects for a little while. Production has a lot more stage planning aspects with the limited capacity.

User Tag List