Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suck in USPSA but good in IDPA

Suck in USPSA but good in IDPA

I'm classified Master in IDPA but only classified as a C shooter at a local club classifier match at the local indoor range.

What gives with this? Pretty much hanging my head right now. I'm not sure how I can be better at both sports.

Quote Originally Posted by goosehunter View Post
    I'm classified Master in IDPA but only classified as a C shooter at a local club classifier match at the local indoor range.

What gives with this? Pretty much hanging my head right now. I'm not sure how I can be better at both sports.
    Science fact: USPSA is harder than IDPA. Also a fact: aside from drawing from concealment, anything you do to get better at USPSA will make you better at IDPA.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Science fact: USPSA is harder than IDPA. Also a fact: aside from drawing from concealment, anything you do to get better at USPSA will make you better at IDPA.
    Please explain further. And how do I get better? I was pretty cocky walking into the match. I figured that without cover, I would've been a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Caleb, you are getting seriously trolled.

OP, wear your fishing vest next time to the USPSA classifier match, as you must have had a bad day -- I think IDPA master translates more like a low USPSA B, than a C.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I shoot ESP in idpa normally. I figured that trying Production in uspsa would be comparable.

Is "trolling" a new poster thing? Not sure that I understand.

I've made it a point in 2013 to shoot as many matches as I can. I've made most of the available IDPA club matches, place high, and have a great time. Later I hit the USPSA matches. The differences in the dynamics between the two groups are pretty dramatic. The guys shooting IDPA weren't shooting USPSA, and vice versa. My scores and placement overall and by division weren't carrying over either. IDPA scoring was pretty straightforward and I understood that. USPSA was more elusive. Shooting faster or more accurately wasn't the answer, it was the calculus of both blended with the variables of what gun/caliber I was shooting, and what everyone else was doing at the time. I'd run a match and get all As in a good time, but a guy would burn it up with Cs and place much higher. I found some of the answer in threads here, along with the DOTW that considered the effect of different scoring methods.

Stage design also plays a role in the calculus of scoring. A stand-up, burn-it-down stage design gives some the edge, which seems to prevail in the USPSA matches I've shot. Others that had shooting from irregular positions, cover, reloads in same, gave me and others a hand.

Either way, I'm having fun, running the gun, and finding strengths and deficits in my performance. Still, it's irksome.
    Last edited by ST911; 12-02-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Caleb, you are getting seriously trolled.

OP, wear your fishing vest next time to the USPSA classifier match, as you must have had a bad day -- I think IDPA master translates more like a low USPSA B, than a C.
    I wear a "cover garment", not some gamers vest. I'm not sure what your intentions are on this thread. I'm looking to get better at shooting in general. At 53, I'm not looking to be "cool" anymore.

There is a ton of things that factor in why rankings can look so disparate, not enough time to cover it all. OrigamiAK was shooting IDPA classifier in mid-70s, if memory serves me right, while ranked B in USPSA.
    In my experience of shooting with legit IDPA Ms, those dudes are advanced enough to have good insight what they need to do to jack up their USPSA ratings. Just shoot some more USPSA to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I've made it a point in 2013 to shoot as many matches as I can. I've made most of the available IDPA club matches, place high, and have a great time. Later I hit the USPSA matches. The differences in the dynamics between the two groups are pretty dramatic. The guys shooting IDPA weren't shooting USPSA, and vice versa. My scores and placement overall and by division weren't carrying over either. IDPA scoring was pretty straightforward and I understood that. USPSA was more elusive. Shooting faster or more accurately wasn't the answer, it was the calculus of both blended with the variables of what gun/caliber I was shooting, and what everyone else was doing at the time. I'd run a match and get all As in a good time, but a guy would burn it up with Cs and place much higher. I found some of the answer in threads here, along with the DOTW that considered the effect of different scoring methods.

Stage design also plays a role in the calculus of scoring. A stand-up, burn-it-down stage design gives some the edge, which seems to prevail in the USPSA matches I've shot. Others that had shooting from irregular positions, cover, reloads in same, gave me and others a hand.

Either way, I'm having fun, running the gun, and finding strengths and deficits in my performance. Still, it's a irksome.
    That's a pretty good explanation of where I am at. Even on the "hoser" stages, my time to first shot was at least .8 slower than B shooters at the match, way slower than the A's and M's.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    There is a ton of things that factor in why rankings can look so disparate, not enough time to cover it all. OrigamiAK was shooting IDPA classifier in mid-70s, if memory serves me right, while ranked B in USPSA.
    In my experience of shooting with legit IDPA Ms, those dudes are advanced enough to have good insight what they need to do to jack up their USPSA ratings. Just shoot some more USPSA to figure it out.
    Thanks man. I figure that the draw is a good place to start since I seem to be lacking there. Right now I average about 2.3 to first shot but It's always a 0 (A).

Mechanics?

User Tag List