Thread: Install ?'s: Trijicon HDNS on P2KSK

Question Install ?'s: Trijicon HDNS on P2KSK

So I just received my new HD NS (HK109Y) set and am prepping for the installation to my P2KSK. The stock 3-dot front is out without issues, but I've left the rear in place until I've finished the front installation.

Just how far into the front and rear dovetails should the sights slide before encountering resistance?
    Preference for installation? (e.g: insert from Left to Right; Right to Left; Doesn't matter)

Note: Either my search-fu sucks or this hasn't been covered here. (I probably sucked at the search tho)
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Here is a video from Dave Dawson. Only tip I don't like is taking the file to your slide, but he is the expert. Enjoy

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=do8sHBDfIGk

A needle file kit is your friend
    Last edited by CCT125US; 12-02-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Here is a video from Dave Dawson. Only tip I don't like is taking the file to your slide, but he is the expert. Enjoy

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=do8sHBDfIGk

A needle file kit is your friend
    Thanks!
    Have needle/jeweler's files... NOT jazzed about filing my slide. I'd sooner stipple the grip on my brand new SK.

P.S. PM'd you re: the HK110O's.

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.

There is no way I would take a file to the slide, that is flat out dumb to recommend.
    To install sights I use a medium grit emery cloth and polish the bottom of the sights (lay the cloth down and rub the sight on it in a circular pattern) until it will slide into the dovetail 1/3 to 1/2 of the way with solid thumb pressure.
    I've never used a angle file on the inside angles of the sight, that's a sure way to screw up the fit really quickly. None of my sights have required much more than polishing the paint off the bottom of the rear sight.
    I put some red Locktite on the sight base and in the dovetail, then use a MGW sight pusher or a plastic drift punch and hammer to finish the install.
    Wipe the excess Locktite off and let it set up overnight.
    It's usually best to remove the sights from right to left and install sights from left to right (while holding the slide up like you'd do when shooting), although many sights now have hourglass dovetails instead of tapered so they can go either way.
    I just make a habit of doing the standard way.
    You can use calipers to measure the dovetail if you are wondering if yours is straight, tapered or hourglass.

I've installed dozens of sights with pushers or punches and never had an issue except the front sight on my Sig (which broke with very little force) and I think that was a Trijicon defect rather than install error.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-02-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Thanks Jody!

Agree 100% re: the slide filing, although that Dawson video only has the edge being broken on the dovetail cut, which I can understand in some cases. My old XD40 springs to mind.

I did remove the same way you describe and planned on doing it the same as you stated for the install. Again, lessons taught to me by my old XD.

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.

Put several Trijicon HD orange on P2000sk 9mm. MGW sight tool works well. On the P2000 series it pushes on the sight directly over the dovetail.
    On HK45 and P30 my buddy had to machine an adapter for the MGW tool to push on the part that fits in the dovetail otherwise it pushes the rear of the sight crooked as it is the only part of HD sights up high enough to ingage the stock tool. With adapter have put in sights on 6 P30s and 6 HK45s with no issues.

Picture of adapter?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    I always file the sight; my rule of thumb is (when possible) modify the cheapest part - not the most expensive one.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I always file the sight; my rule of thumb is (when possible) modify the cheapest part - not the most expensive one.
    TRUTH!
    Besides, if I really wanted to wait for a slide to come in I would have just shipped mine out for the sight installation.

On a related note: That front sight base is really hard... my file is barely taking the finish off of it. It's off to the hardware store for some emery cloth today. Should have these installed by the afternoon... Hopefully.

User Tag List