Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I learned a lot at Cabela's today.

I learned a lot at Cabela's today.

A .44 Magnum will go through 6 houses. I bet you guys didn't know that. That's why you should pack a .22.

If you aren't going to use a .22, you want to get Glaser safety bullets. Those are pretty safe too. But really any frangible bullets will do the job. You can't trust hollow points.

In other words, I learned a lot at Cabela's today while my special lady friend was cavorting through the local outlet malls.

And my young cousin, who just moved to the area near me, was SHOCKED when I suggested she not go to a LGS alone to try out pistols and look for one.

"If you go without me, you WILL be throwing money down the drain."

Wow. How were you able to contain your inner laughter while listening to that much garbage?!
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

Pffft. I've heard that a .45 will take a man's head clean off, and features unrivaled "knockdown" power.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    Wow. How were you able to contain your inner laughter while listening to that much garbage?!
    I hear it a lot. Also, long ago and far away, back when I was a know-it-all too, I probably said something similarly stupid. Ok, maybe not that bad, but definitely still stupid.

It's partly why I like Cabela's so much. If you're posting or reading this forum you're so far ahead of the curve that it's helpful to remember where the rest of the class is. I mean, this guy at least started out with "shot placement is the number one thing." So really it was a C effort.

And once at a Bass Pro I heard how the Judge was the perfect home defense gun.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Pffft. I've heard that a .45 will take a man's head clean off, and features unrivaled "knockdown" power.
    You too?

I got a bonus lesson on the Beretta 92.Apparently, I'll get beheaded by the slide once it separates in the middle.Darn.

I knew I shoulda bought a PT1911 like all the other cool kids.

I never talk guns there. Or anywhere unless someone is specifically asking my advice. I just like hanging out at the gun counter pricing used S&Ws and Model 12's I'll never buy and listening to the counter guys.

At gun stores my interaction with the counter guys is limited to "I'll take one of those, please."

Speaking of Model 12s, the Allen, TX store has piles of them for $350-ish. They've got lots of character, but they're tripping my want button...

If they have any model 12's that are particularly loose and "worn out" at the receiver/barrel junction, they may make a good deal for you. They are simple to adjust. I'd be quite shocked if one had used up its adjustment range. You can tell by taking the barrel off and looking at the adjustment tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    If they have any model 12's that are particularly loose and "worn out" at the receiver/barrel junction, they may make a good deal for you. They are simple to adjust. I'd be quite shocked if one had used up its adjustment range. You can tell by taking the barrel off and looking at the adjustment tab.
    It was your post about them that got me thinking along those lines.

So, thanks a lot!

At the local Cabela's the other day, the gun room monkey tried to sell my buddy on a really well-preserved Rock Island M1903. It tripped my spidey-sense for some reason, and a quick check of the date on the receiver and barrel, coupled with the serial number, revealed why: it was a very low-number (119xxx, dated 1911) gun, well inside the bloc with suspect heat treating. The monkey was not pleased when I told him it was unsafe to shoot. So much for getting $1500 out of it...

User Tag List