Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I learned a lot at Cabela's today.

Very fun time at Cabela's today. I snagged a nice 1929 Winchester Model 12 for the traveling road trip shotgun project, and at a quite reasonable price.

How did the others look? I'm thinking about heading back up there.

I got the most beatup one they had. The bore looked fine, but the metal on the receiver had some very light surface pitting. Barrel was a 30-inch tube.

Wood was frankly in very good shape for an 85-year-old shotgun. Lock-up between the barrel group and receiver was nice and tight, and it cycles fine for a dry gun. I'm going to hunt down replacement springs, because that's how I roll.

The rest of the shotguns were in better shape, with correspondingly higher prices. They also had some 16 gauge models, but no 20-gauge that I saw. A few other good old pumpguns. too. But I was pretty much just focusing on the Model 12's.

Pretty long line for the firearms counter. It took about an hour and a half to get everything done.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I can only dream of being able to visit a Cabella's near where I live......

I usually just walk over there with my dog.......

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    When an acquaintance opened a gun store/range, I suggested he post "Gun Store Commandos Prohibited" signs.

You may say I'm a dreamer...
    How about "Please present DD 214 before bringing up your experiences as a SF Operator"

I think a Cabela's would be a good step up from the local Gander Mountain. It was the opposite there, where I was told that 9MMs and .38s are a waste. You need a .45 or better for self defense, and better included any shotgun. But the strangest overheard conversation I heard was at another warehouse type of place. Everything seemed okay, then a customer came in and loudly proclaimed he needed a silencer for his AR-15 while looking around, presumably to make sure he had everyone's attention. He went on to say that, since his township didn't have a police force, he didn't need to have the local chief sign off. The guy behind the counter looked annoyed and said, "You still have a sheriff."

As for the Model 12s, I'm tempted to tell my dad, but he might wind up heading to Texas tonight. He absolutely loves Model 12s. (He's a retired police officer and long time trap shooter who once turned down an offer from Winchester to trap shoot for them).

I learned that at Cabella's a Swiss Vetterli covered in rust and with busted sights is worth 1400 bucks...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I can only dream of being able to visit a Cabella's near where I live......
    There's a third-tier (i.e. surprisingly small) Cabela's right across the NV border on the way to Reno. Frankly, the Bass Pro in Tracy is more like the Cabela's I've seen elsewhere than the sad little Cabela's in Reno.

And the Cabela's near Reno won't sell guns to CA residents. {sob}

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    There's a third-tier (i.e. surprisingly small) Cabela's right across the NV border on the way to Reno. Frankly, the Bass Pro in Tracy is more like the Cabela's I've seen elsewhere than the sad little Cabela's in Reno.

And the Cabela's near Reno won't sell guns to CA residents. {sob}
    But when we were in Reno for the Gun Bloggers' Rendezvous in September, that Cabela's was selling cases of .22 LR when no one else had any in stock.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List