Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The value of training.

The value of training.

Thought I would share this piece I just wrote for the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network E-journal. It seems relevant to this forum.

Marty

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/...-december-2013

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Hayes View Post
    Thought I would share this piece I just wrote for the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network E-journal. It seems relevant to this forum.

Marty

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/...-december-2013
    A good link , thanks.

As Jeff Cooper observed years and years ago, the key is mindset.If someone's a trained, educated shooter, their mindset will be much better then the unprepared when theres a bump at three AM. With competence comes confidence, and confidence ensures no legally questionable decisions happen at the brink.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    A good link , thanks.

As Jeff Cooper observed years and years ago, the key is mindset.If someone's a trained, educated shooter, their mindset will be much better then the unprepared when theres a bump at three AM. With competence comes confidence, and confidence ensures no legally questionable decisions happen at the brink.
    That last part, did you make that up on a whim or do you really believe that?

And here I was assuming that a firm understanding of use of force rules combined with scenario training that forced one to apply those rules in unfamiliar situations under compressed time conditions and stress prevented legally questionable actions "at the brink"...

The less you are thinking about what to do to handle the tactical/skills portion of the situation, the more you can apply attention to the situation itself - you still need to know what is and is not permitted, and how to apply that info to the situation at hand.

Confidence isn't what gets you through. Competence is what does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    And here I was assuming that a firm understanding of use of force rules combined with scenario training that forced one to apply those rules in unfamiliar situations under compressed time conditions and stress prevented legally questionable actions "at the brink"...

The less you are thinking about what to do to handle the tactical/skills portion of the situation, the more you can apply attention to the situation itself - you still need to know what is and is not permitted, and how to apply that info to the situation at hand.

Confidence isn't what gets you through. Competence is what does it.
    Except when Bad Things Happen, there isn't much time for any organized thought about legality.Either you mentally are prepared for the situation via advanced, previous training-or you're not. The confidence stems from competence-you cannot have one without the other.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    ...confidence ensures no legally questionable decisions happen at the brink.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Except when Bad Things Happen, there isn't much time for any organized thought about legality.Either you mentally are prepared for the situation via advanced, previous training-or you're not. The confidence stems from competence-you cannot have one without the other.
    nyeti has some posts on this topic that might give you a different perspective from someone who has spent a lot of time being there and doing that.

The confidence stems from competence-you cannot have one without the other.
    I disagree. Look at the number of gun owners who shoot 100 rounds a year and are "confident" that they are prepared and well trained. Confidence can be just another lie that we convince ourselves is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I disagree. Look at the number of gun owners who shoot 100 rounds a year and are "confident" that they are prepared and well trained. Confidence can be just another lie that we convince ourselves is real.
    Ignorance is bliss as they say.

The more I shoot, the more I train, the more I realize I need to improve.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Thats called good ol fashioned hubris.

100 rounds a year rounds down to zero, AFAIC .Confidence in real world, measurable performance under stress is a very different thing from self delusion.

User Tag List