Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Sight Radius?

We are diminished

Why Sight Radius?

Why the heck is it called a sight radius?

I've been shooting now for almost twenty years and this morning it finally hit me that the term makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure it is a borrowed term from the artillery boys and their first mechanical sight.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Fantastic. You just put my inner Aspie in a round room and told her to sit in the corner. Thanks a lot.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Inquiring minds want to know...

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Fantastic. You just put my inner Aspie in a round room and told her to sit in the corner. Thanks a lot.
    At least you can find a true radius in a round room...

gif fu ain't working today

I quit

Somebody can post what I mean...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I remember reading something that referred to it as the "sighting line" which made a whole lot more sense to me than radius.

In my mind, we're working on an arc of a circle when tweaking the POI. Naturally, the distance between the sights is a factor when playing with the POI and the sight height(s).

Whelen explains it thusly:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7vB...radius&f=false
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post

In my mind, we're working on an arc of a circle when tweaking the POI. Naturally, the distance between the sights is a factor when playing with the POI and the sight height(s).

Whelen explains it thusly:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7vB...radius&f=false
    The above is explaining what I understand sight radius to mean. Sight radius is being able to take a measured distance between front and rear sights and to be able to calculate POI shift for a given bullet trajectory when making graduation changes to the sights. This can get you close to POI without actually shooting to make adjustments.

I believe that sight base distance would be more correct when talking about the shooters ability to reduce the deviation of error of aligning sights as the sight base distance increases margin of error decreases.

Dawson Precision has a handy calculation to determine front sight POA / POI adjustments. It worked perfectly for me on the P30.
    They use the term in question.
    http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Categ...t=SIGHTS+FRONT
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List