Thread: FTE while unloading

FTE while unloading

after shooting today I went home and decided to field strip my Smith and Wesson shield to give it a wipe down & a bit of oil.

shooting live ammo, pistol was fine... but when I cycled the round of carry ammo, I get a fte.

I reloaded the pistol and hand cycled the ammo in the magazine through the pistol twice without issue.

I am going to go to the range tomorrow and put live rounds through as a test of things, but Is it odd to have a malfunction while hand cycling but not when shooting live ammo?

Normal. My Kahr does it pretty much every time I hand cycle it but it's been perfect live fire.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

You can't have a FTE while hand cycling live ammo through a gun, which is a terrible idea by the way. If you're not firing it, & it isn't going through its normal cycle of operation, it is incorrect to label what you experienced as the guns fault.

Thanks.

I was hoping that was the case.

which FTE? Failure to Extract or Failure to Eject? I'm going to assume the later, in which case, mostly normal. When you go to the range, try shooting it without a mag and tell us how it functions. It is very common for Failures to Eject to happen, and was discussed in a previous post (that I can't find).
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Sounds more like a FTDR to me!
    University of Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by Fartrell Cluggins View Post
    Sounds more like a FTDR to me!
    Hey...I'm used to Pre 2008 Gen 3 9mm Glocks.

I'm not really used to ANY problems...

Small pistols with small ejection ports and very little slide overtravel don't spit out live rounds very well.
    Nature of the mini-beast.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List