Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Training In Cold Climates.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    But the best way to get year round practice is to live in Texas
    That's not what folks in Amarillo say...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

What's this snow stuff you guys are talking about?
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That's not what folks in Amarillo say...
    people live in Amarillo?

Winter is a great season! Things that make your day more enjoyable:

Quote Originally Posted by roblund View Post
    Winter is a great season! Things that make your day more enjoyable:
    Snot rag?!? Isn't that what sleeves were made for?

And why goat skin? Never had a pair. Always made do with deerskin and been happy. Is goat tougher? More flexible?
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    It's fun to dig for brass in snow!
    Snow? What's snow? Oh right, that white stuff way up on top of the mountains....

Just kidding, I may be in a place with only two seasons (raining and not raining) now, but I grew up in Chicago and shoveled enough snow for a lifetime before moving west 13 years ago.

I do try to train all year though including in light rain, since there's no guarantee it's going to be warm and sunny if I ever do need the gun for real. Cool and wet is about as bad as it gets, and that should be happening real soon.... still 50 and dry when I went out to shoot today.

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    And why goat skin?
    Yeah, seems to last a little bit longer.

I just ordered an Outdoor Research Havoc jacket. A buddy of mine, who is a Teton Ranger and does Avalanche patrol out west recommended this jacket to me, b/c he knows it has few 'snagging' zippers and is very light and warm for most weather in NJ.

Does anyone else have some thoughts on cold weather gear that is light, warm and doesn't get in the way of shooting from AIWB or OWB??

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I think a key thing to remember is any possible threat, either two footed or four footed will be facing the same environment as you. Four footed critters are more likely better adapted than you might be however. GJM would be the resident expert on that matter. As far as gloves and jackets, the question is how well you can manipulate the gun over your baseline. There comes a temperature where you can't work the gun with your cold gear, and you may have to get your gloves off in order to work the gun. Hit the range with your cold gear and see how it affects times over your baseline. From there, make a decision on what can and should be modified to allow the best results.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Does anyone else have some thoughts on cold weather gear that is light, warm and doesn't get in the way of shooting from AIWB or OWB??
    As far as brands, I don't know. But the style that works for me is a heavy jacket that folds under at the waist, and when lifted up exposes the gun (AIWB). If you think of a standard hoody, most folks have the band folded under and the rest of the fabric folds over that. This is how my heavy jacket folds under and gives a huge "hem" to grab. I wear a tucked in t-shirt and usually have a fleece or hoody under my outer shell. The under layer is folded in with the outer and works well for me. It adds almost zero to my draw time. The time add comes from the gloves and cold fingers.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List