Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Resources for the Preparation of Arguing with Anti-Gun People

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    You might want to add this one: why the gun is civilization.

I believe Marko Kloos is also a member here.
    Thank you. I have read that before, and I agree that it belongs in the first list. Perfect.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The Florida shooting is actually a perfect argument in favor of people carrying. Current allegations are that there were a total of five sheriff's deputies on-site outside the building where the shooter was active, and they didn't go in. When seconds count, the police rolled up and stood outside for just minutes. This completely pulls the rug out from under anyone who says that citizens should rely on the police for real-time protection.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Arguing politics has been nothing more than mental masturbation. There are people that are capable of doing it, but I’ve come to the realization that I’m not effective. No argument has moved the needle like taking the person to the range to show them what responsible gun ownership looks like.
    David S.

If you haven't already, watch and listen to some of Alan Korwin's work. The man makes a great argument. Here is a link: http://www.gunlaws.com/AlanInTheNews.htm

Site Supporter
    One argument I have used to persuade persuadeable people re: magazine capacity:

Magazine capacity matters significantly more for a legitimate defender than it does for a mass shooter. Here is why:

The mass shooter gets to pick the time and place of the attack, and 98% occur in gun-free zones. He gets to attack when he has the advantage, such as when the victims are less able to respond. He gets to decide what weapons he brings and how many accomplices he brings. When he runs out of ammo, a victim has about 3 seconds to perceive that he is out of ammo, close the distance, and start doing damage before the attacker is able to reload and keep shooting. As Suzanne Gratia-Hupp said in videoptaped testimony before Congress, magazine capacity does not matter, because there is simply not enough time to rush someone while they are changing magazines.

A defender, on the other hand, might have to control two young children while fighting back. That means one hand for one kid, the 2nd hand for the 2nd kid, a 3rd hand for the gun . . . oh wait . . . there is no third hand. That means 1 hand to control 2 kids and 1 hand to run the gun. So, for a defender, ammo in the gun = time in the fight.

I have not read this thread so I do not know if this has been posted already, but here is the testimony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis

Fortuitously, @pax just had some thoughts on the subject: Resources for Conversations with Anti-Gun Friends
    A few months ago she was about to give up blogging. Glad she didn't, she's been knocking them out of the park lately.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Fortuitously, @pax just had some thoughts on the subject: Resources for Conversations with Anti-Gun Friends
    A few months ago she was about to give up blogging. Glad she didn't, she's been knocking them out of the park lately.
    This one is a classic:
    http://monsterhunternation.com/2015/...ontrol-repost/

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    The discussion is unavoidable for me. I work in San Francisco and live in Marin County. You literally can't get more Left Coast than that. I am surrounded by overly civilized, overly educated, nice people who have no idea that they don't see the actual world around them. It's not just firearms....they live in a separate reality from most of us.

Sometimes I encounter folks at work who want to discuss this with me... certain that I'll support civilian disarmament and confiscation. Sometimes they're just surprised I'm not on their side, sometimes they're outraged. A few probing questions usually reveals that their position is entirely emotional and not at all fact based. They will sometimes still angrily cling to their position. I'll then ask "How many people have you seen shot? Have you ever been shot at? Have you ever had to shoot someone threatening your life? Have you ever had to step over a shooting victim begging for help, because the shooter WAS BEHIND THAT DOOR OVER THERE? What do you know about current state and federal laws governing firearms purchases and ownership? What do you know about violent crime rates in this area? Firearms crime rates?" The answers are always no to the first set of questions, and then 'nothing' to the second. This is where I will politely suggest they reevaluate their perceived moral and intellectual high ground. Granted, this is usually more effective because I'm in uniform and unemotional about the discussion.

Several years ago, when I was a patrolman, my partner and I stopped at our neighborhood coffee shop after roll call. It was after some mass shooting. The young, green haired tattooed barista girl, who we were quite friendly with, made the comment that no one but us should have guns. I told her i.didnt agree, but she stuck to her position. I then asked her, "So, I guess you know then that all cops everywhere can always be trusted to do the right thing and only have your interest in mind."....".....uhhh, well I love you guys, but...not from where I'm from!"...Me:" Well then you at least trust the FBI and other feds to always have only your best interests at heart."....Her:"....uhhh, no way man. MLK, dude!"...Me:"Well, certainly you have complete faith, confidence, and trust in the military and their leadership, then, to always do what's right for you."...Her:" Oh I don't think so!".....Me:"Huh. Funny that you think all of those people should be the only ones with guns....."

The look of cognitive dissonance on her face was priceless. Already long story shorter....three months later she and her boyfriend joined the NRA, became shooters and Libertarians. It can be done.
    Last edited by AMC; 02-27-2018 at 03:06 PM.

Anyone have a resource of NRA backed gun laws? That may put some cold water on the haters.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Here's a pretty easy to read editorial:

They didn’t write the Second Amendment to protect the right to shoot deer; they wrote it to protect the right to self-defense -- whether against bad guys, crazy people or a tyrannical government bent on destroying personal liberty.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/...bear-arms.html

User Tag List