Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: SAFETY ADVISORY: Winchester Ranger Bonded 9mm 147 grain (Q4364)

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Check the date code to see when it was made; if it was before 2010, you likely have no problems.

--NOTE that this post originally had a typo, it is corrected above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Seems like the Q and Z get all the problems. One reason why I only buy the standard ranger ammo . Like RA9124TP and so on. So far I've been lucky.

Now I have had excellent luck with Q3131 since the 80`s even in 98-2000
    Quote Originally Posted by j.d.allen View Post
    This is the Q4364. I got it cheap so I don't mind shooting it up at the range. That's probably what I'll do anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Hmm. I just checked and I have some Q4364 also... It would be good to figure out if this stuff is trustworthy or not.
    Read Doc's post above. Date code guides can be found with minimal Google searching.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Read Doc's post above. Date code guides can be found with minimal Google searching.

Right. But, Doc said prior to 2010 was ok. Does that mean that ALL future batches are bad? Again I read some information that said that the defect on the bad ammo was clearly visible. I'm just wondering if anyone else can corroborate that...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    It is a very specific problem, confined to a recent time frame, and it will likely be fixed next year...
    Quote Originally Posted by j.d.allen View Post
    Right. But, Doc said prior to 2010 was ok. Does that mean that ALL future batches are bad? Again I read some information that said that the defect on the bad ammo was clearly visible. I'm just wondering if anyone else can corroborate that...
    Before 2010 is listed as good. Doc said that the issue should be fixed next year (he said that in 2013). 2014 ammo, if i had to guess, should be good (just from looking at the numbers). I tend to stick to ATK Ammunition.

Just in case anyone cares I shot up that Q4364 I had. 100 rounds and they all went bang without a hiccup.

Is this still the standard issue FBI load? Did they ever stop issuing RA9B during this period?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Is this still the standard issue FBI load? Did they ever stop issuing RA9B during this period?
    The agents I work with have been issued the Gold Dot G2 (147gr) since October 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    They never issued RA9B

Previous to the Winchester Bonded the FBI issued the 147gr Gold Dot
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    They never issued RA9B

Previous to the Winchester Bonded the FBI issued the 147gr Gold Dot
    Sorry should have written Q4364, though I admit I'm a bit unclear on the differences between Q4364 and RA9B. ICE certainly isn't the only agency that issued this round - did anyone else withdraw it from service?

Ever since this notice I've been looking at my case of Winchester Ranger Bonded (ZQ4364) with a suspect eye. Recently I cracked open a box to find some of the brass within marked normally and some with +P markings (this is the standard pressure 147 grain bonded JHP load)...has anyone seen this before? The fact that the casings aren't marked right isn't exactly confidence boosting...I think these are moving to the practice pile.

Thankfully I have a substantial stash of 124 grain Gold Dot +P.

Does anyone have information on the Winchester Ranger 147gr 9mm SGammo just got in?

" Winchester Ranger Sku number Z Q4392 ammunition is the FBI substitute load for the Law enforcement load # RA9B, which is to say it is the same ammo as RA9B just with the government contract Sku number Q4392. We were able to get a very small lot of this ammo, less than half a pallet, that was available from a contract overrun. A great low cost option for high performance JHP 9mm ammo that meets FBI performance standards for deep penetration and expansion. This ammo is 2014 manufacture."

Any reason this ammo shouldn't be trusted for self-defense use? I can't find much other standard pressure 147 gr 9mm JHP in stock.

Thanks.

User Tag List