Page 45 of 83 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: A Glock 42?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    ... the trigger travel is close to the LEM reset distance.
    This is what I disagree with. I'm no Kahr expert, but every one of the dozen or so I've shot required the trigger to go forward fully before "resetting", where the LEM requires much less forward travel before resetting. Granted, the P-series LEMs have more forward travel than the USP/HK45 LEMs... and I've always wondered why that is so.

But the bottom line for me is that I would occasionally short-stroke that Kahr trigger by not letting it go forward far enough before trying to pull it again.

Trust me, I'm not anti-Kahr. The P9 is probably the best example of a small, handy, reliable carry piece in a "serious" caliber, and the PM9 is an excellent little pocket rocket. But it ain't the same trigger as a LEM... to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Dude, I carry a .380. I'm pickin' up what DocGKR is puttin' down, and I understand it's a ****** little gun that fires a ****** little round, but it fills a specific niche that would otherwise maybe fit a derringer or a mini-revolver. It may be ******, but it beats a handful of nothing. (Incidentally, the Glock 42 is too big to do the job in question...)
    DocGKR has made it clear that .380, while not "nothing", definitely shares property with it. There's the case where a mother trapped in a closet dumped a revolver load of .38 Special into the head of her attacker at bad breath distance-and the bad guy kept up the fight anyway.

Given that theres videotape footage of a man shot in the heart with a .40 caliber LE round fired from a full size gun shooting and driving away , id hate to be the dude or dudette at close range trying to stop them with a .380 . I pack a 92FS stuffed with +p+ 115gr 9mm, and even I can't assume someone hit with that load will drop.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    The P9 is probably the best example of a small, handy, reliable carry piece
    Well, at least 2 out of 3 of those attributes.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    DocGKR has made it clear that .380, while not "nothing", definitely shares property with it. There's the case where a mother trapped in a closet dumped a revolver load of .38 Special into the head of her attacker at bad breath distance-and the bad guy kept up the fight anyway.

Given that theres videotape footage of a man shot in the heart with a .40 caliber LE round fired from a full size gun shooting and driving away , id hate to be the dude or dudette at close range trying to stop them with a .380 . I pack a 92FS stuffed with +p+ 115gr 9mm, and even I can't assume someone hit with that load will drop.
    Which 115 +P+? Fed BPLE? Just sayin'
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Well, at least 2 out of 3 of those attributes.
    Yeah, you're rolling the dice with any Moonie gun. My two examples were good, the three that a pal own are good, but I know of a couple others that have gone back to the plant numerous times.

We have one MK9 back for repair now. YVK had to send his back, and my experience over the years is between 1/3 and 1/2 need a trip back.

I have two PM9's that run for me, but my wife can't get through a single magazine without a stoppage, suggesting they are probably marginal. The heavier MK9 runs for her, or has seemed to so far. It is darn heavy, and dense, weighing like a G26, but in a smaller size -- in an appendix holster the concentrated rubs her skin raw on a longer hike, where her 26 doesn't.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post

While we may not like it, I've spoken to a few mates who have seen this and said "maybe I can get my wife to actually carry it" Another who works a NPE and this would allow him to be armed and employed.

380 really aint great and if you can carry something bigger you really should. Most people on this forum probably do. As has been mentioned that's a tiny minority of gun owners. But some people can't or won't and armed with a 380 is a metric quantum better than unarmed because today you couldn't be arsed to carry the mega blaster, or just couldn't.

I've caught myself once or twice leaving the house with just my BG38, normally because that's all that I could get away with carrying at my destination. If I can shoot this noticeably better than a lightweight snubby then I will be prepared to take the drop in power for a shootable pockatable pistol.Either would be preferable to relying on my fat guy kung fu.

While 380 is kak (yay for swearing in foreign languages) on the scale of nothing to 9mm its much much closer to 9mm than nothing.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    While we may not like it, I've spoken to a few mates who have seen this and said "maybe I can get my wife to actually carry it" Another who works a NPE and this would allow him to be armed and employed.

380 really aint great and if you can carry something bigger you really should. Most people on this forum probably do. As has been mentioned that's a tiny minority of gun owners. But some people can't or won't and armed with a 380 is a metric quantum better than unarmed because today you couldn't be arsed to carry the mega blaster, or just couldn't.

I've caught myself once or twice leaving the house with just my BG38, normally because that's all that I could get away with carrying at my destination. If I can shoot this noticeably better than a lightweight snubby then I will be prepared to take the drop in power for a shootable pockatable pistol.Either would be preferable to relying on my fat guy kung fu.

While 380 is kak (yay for swearing in foreign languages) on the scale of nothing to 9mm its much much closer to 9mm than nothing.

I think the basic point is this - why not 9mm? Walther, Remington, Smith and Wesson and Kahr (and even Kel-Tec) have all succeeded (to varying degrees) in making a 9mm pistol in the same sized package. I agree that a .380 is better than nothing, but why did it have to be a .380 to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I think the basic point is this - why not 9mm? Walther, Remington, Smith and Wesson and Kahr (and even Kel-Tec) have all succeeded (to varying degrees) in making a 9mm pistol in the same sized package. I agree that a .380 is better than nothing, but why did it have to be a .380 to begin with?
    We come to a divergence in priorities, between "us" and "them".

I hate to use such divisive terms, but "us" gun geeks know enough to realize there are no free lunches with guns. There are roughly three categories- small, easy to shoot, and powerful. We can pick only two in any one firearm.

"Us" gets that , and we thus realize that a punishing shooting experience is a necessary evil if we want a handgun round capable of deterring an attacker twice our size who may be on drugs.

On the "them" side, the average Joe & Jane American considers a rough shooting experience to be a dealbreaker . Too much recoil? Sell/put away the gun, and pack the pepper spray.

Yet a gun large enough to be easy to shoot will be by nature too big to hide easily. The "them" decide power is irrelevant and carry the smallest, most comfy gun to shoot and carry. For those folks the G42 will be a godsend-and , given that most attackers as of yet flee when confronted with an armed victim, it may well work out for most of "them". But, sooner or later, we'll see that after action report of a gal armed with the G42 who dumped her magazine into a crazed attacker's head and only succeeded in creating a messier mug shot.

For the "us" who carry a .380, ill stress that its an altogether different calculus then when "them" packs one. "Them" carries the .380 because they're deciding in ignorance, willfull or otherwise. "Us" carries a .380 knowing the risks because the circumstances permit no reasonable alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'm guessing the answer to why not 9mm could be one of the reasons many if not most on this forum carry a 9mm service pistol rather than a .40 or 45 one. Because it's easier to shoot.

I haven't shot either yet. But an educated guess tells me that a locked breach Shield sized 380 will be easier to shoot than a locked breach Shield sized 9mm. This isn't an track I have any inside info one. I really scratched my head when the details came out. But when the reports came out that it's like shooting a G19 with soft ammo I had a bit of a light bulb moment. If it's a pocket pistol they are comfortable shooting they may just practise with it more. And that beats an extra 24 gr's of bullet weight everyday.

Ive some of the people referenced in my previous post. They don't like gun and they don't like shooting , guns are something they view on a good day as a necessary evil. A G19 wasn't all they could handle. But it was all they really wanted to handle. I had a lady on the range a while ago who was one of these people. Hubby decided she needed a LC9. Small weak and shall we say mature the LC9 gave her no pleasure and after 200 rounds only pain. I doubt she looks forward to any sessions with it.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List