Page 21 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: A Glock 42?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    That both the new LCP and the TCP have improved triggers vs the Kel Tec, and seem to run far better, is also a factor.
    True that. Though I wouldn't have plunked money down on one, I won a black/stainless TCP as a door prize. I don't run it hard, but so far the thing is 100% through 150-200 rounds of ball and a couple magazines worth of Critical Defense. I'd shoot it more if ammo were more available. Silly little thing isn't that terrible to shoot, either.

A friend has one of the newer LCPs and has run about 400 rounds through it without a stoppage.

My wife's TCP, in .32acp, is above 300 rounds now without a stoppage outside of a batch of bad Privy that was sent back in for new ammo.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    A friend has one of the newer LCPs and has run about 400 rounds through it without a stoppage.

My wife's TCP, in .32acp, is above 300 rounds now without a stoppage outside of a batch of bad Privy that was sent back in for new ammo.
    Why .32, out of curiosity? I have long been suspicious of anything <.380 Auto...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    On the other hand, looking at those numbers you can see why Beretta and Glock jumped on the .380 bandwagon. Conventional wisdom says that if it's raining soup, you'd be a fool not to stick a bowl out the window. (See: "Smith & Wesson Governor".)
    And it looks like Sig is releasing the P290 in 380 now as well. I thought that was weird until you brought up the sales numbers.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Why .32, out of curiosity? I have long been suspicious of anything <.380 Auto...
    I know I wasn't asked, but here's my answer, which applies to my experiences with the Kel-Tec P32 vs. their P3AT:

Neither cartridge is the Hammer of Thor. You get an extra round in the .32, and the gun is vastly more likely to be trouble-free mechanically. Most importantly for me, my grownup-size hand and the P3AT's grip geometry are somehow incompatible. I can't get enough of a grip on the gun one-handed to ensure that it won't squirm around enough in my grip to short-cycle.

I haven't any trigger time worth mentioning that I can recollect on the LCP, but I've put a few boxes through various P3AT's over the years and, unless I'm holding the gun two-handed with my support hand index finger looped around the front of the trigger guard, it's likely to malf. It's like trying to stabilize a briskly-recoiling popsicle stick. A pocket-carry BUG that requires a firm two-hand grip to function in my hands doesn't do me a lot of good.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Kind of what Tam said.

My wife started out as a total anti handgun person (handguns are just for killing people, ya know?). Later she saw the error of her ways and eventually wanted her own CCH and a carry piece. She wanted the smallest and lightest thing she could get, which ended up being a P32 because I had one (I have this sick fascination with micro pistols…) and she shot it decently.

One day we are in NOLA and I come very, very close to having to shoot a dude that is like 6’5 and 350lbs. Wife decides that maybe she wants bigger bullets. P32 gets sold and she carries my G26 for awhile. She isn’t really happy with it, we end up with a Kahr CW9 and eventually a PM9. Wife is happy for several years.

Then she decides she wants something really small again for times when she needs a gun smaller than the Kahr. We are at a local gun shop/indoor range. Owner knows us, while he and I are talking she takes the .32 TCP he handed her out to the range for a test shot. She burns the whole box of Fiocchi .32, walks back in to the shop and tells me “buy this”.

Wife was never really happy with the P32 except for the size. With the TCP in .32 we find that the trigger is MUCH better, and due to the tweeks Taurus from the P32 design there is very little recoil. Wife did not like the P3AT or the LCP at all because she found the .380 too snappy (she has a history of carpal tunnel BTW). The TCP .32 recoils about like a Beretta 21. Yes, seriously.

Testing I have seen, backed by real world shootings I have worked involving .32s, tells me that .32 FMJ clearly penetrates enough to work well if shots have good placement. I have also noted that .32 FMJ tends to yaw rather reliably.

Is it a good idea to carry vs a service caliber pistol? No. Is it vastly better than a sharp stick and harsh language? Yes, very much so.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Kind of what Tam said.

My wife started out as a total anti handgun person (handguns are just for killing people, ya know?). Later she saw the error of her ways and eventually wanted her own CCH and a carry piece. She wanted the smallest and lightest thing she could get, which ended up being a P32 because I had one (I have this sick fascination with micro pistols…) and she shot it decently.

One day we are in NOLA and I come very, very close to having to shoot a dude that is like 6’5 and 350lbs. Wife decides that maybe she wants bigger bullets. P32 gets sold and she carries my G26 for awhile. She isn’t really happy with it, we end up with a Kahr CW9 and eventually a PM9. Wife is happy for several years.

Then she decides she wants something really small again for times when she needs a gun smaller than the Kahr. We are at a local gun shop/indoor range. Owner knows us, while he and I are talking she takes the .32 TCP he handed her out to the range for a test shot. She burns the whole box of Fiocchi .32, walks back in to the shop and tells me “buy this”.

Wife was never really happy with the P32 except for the size. With the TCP in .32 we find that the trigger is MUCH better, and due to the tweeks Taurus from the P32 design there is very little recoil. Wife did not like the P3AT or the LCP at all because she found the .380 too snappy (she has a history of carpal tunnel BTW). The TCP .32 recoils about like a Beretta 21. Yes, seriously.

Testing I have seen, backed by real world shootings I have worked involving .32s, tells me that .32 FMJ clearly penetrates enough to work well if shots have good placement. I have also noted that .32 FMJ tends to yaw rather reliably.

Is it a good idea to carry vs a service caliber pistol? No. Is it vastly better than a sharp stick and harsh language? Yes, very much so.
    Fair enough, make sense to me. I definitely agree with the last sentence. I find myself carrying a J frame quite a bit for a variety of reasons that need no further elaboration, and while I would vastly prefer 15+1 rounds of 9mm, the J frame is something I can live with.

The TCP .32 recoils about like a Beretta 21. Yes, seriously.

You've talked about the .380 Hornady XTP before. Any thoughts of the .32 version?
    http://www.hornady.com/store/32-Auto-60-gr-XTP/

I would think QC would be better than FMJ, at the very least.

Rumor has it Georgia DPS will adopt the G42 as issue BUG to new G17s.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Rumor has it Georgia DPS will adopt the G42 as issue BUG to new G17s.
    They will probably be a better choice than the Bodyguard adopted by LSP as a BUG to the G22/G17.

User Tag List