Page 18 of 83 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: A Glock 42?

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The feedback I've seen on most forums seems to be negative.

Like Glock strangled Burt the chimney sweep in front of the Banks children negative.
    We want the 9mm single stack.

Anything obstructing that is bad.

Like Glock strangled Burt the chimney sweep in front of the Banks children negative.
    See, I could sympathize with someone who did that. I have no sympathy for whoever decided to make this silly thing.

The feedback I've seen on most forums seems to be negative.

Feedback from people who have handled and shot it, or just general feedback about the idea of a .380 single stack?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakjakman View Post
    Feedback from people who have handled and shot it, or just general feedback about the idea of a .380 single stack?
    Feedback about the concept. A .380 that's bigger than a Shield seems to be an unpopular concept with even die-hard Glockers.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    See, I could sympathize with someone who did that. I have no sympathy for whoever decided to make this silly thing.
    My conception was of Gaston himself strangling Burt in front of the Banks children...which would make ol' Mr. Glock evil.

You're thinking of Burt strangling Gaston while the Banks children cheer.

"Strang-strangly, strang-strangly, strangle-a-roo,
    Strangle this old bastard for making this .380 pile of poo..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    We want the 9mm single stack.

Anything obstructing that is bad.
    Some are going on wild tangents of fantasy, suggesting that the release of the .380 is to work out all the bugs before the 9mm chambering is released.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 12-25-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    3/15/2016

Feedback about the concept. A .380 that's bigger than a Shield seems to be an unpopular concept with even die-hard Glockers.

My conception was of Gaston himself strangling Burt in front of the Banks children...which would make ol' Mr. Glock evil.

You're thinking of Burt strangling Gaston while the Banks children cheer.

"Strang-strangly, strang-strangly, strangle-a-roo,
    Strangle this old bastard for making this .380 pile of poo..."

Some are going on wild tangents of fantasy, suggesting that the release of the .380 is to work out all the bugs before the 9mm chambering is released.
    I think its safe to say that when glock is ready to start debugging a pistol they'll release it en mass to the public.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Seriously, what the kitten was glock thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I think its safe to say that when glock is ready to start debugging a pistol they'll release it en mass to the public.
    Well folks that's the thread, we can all go home now.

Can I be one of the rare odd guys to suggest that we wait to predict the marketplace (wider than the P-F.com marketplace, that is) success or failure response until the data on how it shoots and handles is in? I mean, Sig still sells P232s. Hell, speaking of Sig, they sold some P238s (including one to me) and I can guaran-fricking-tee that it wasn't because of A) the low, undercut Ruger price B) the feather weight C) the killer 4lb glass-rod SA trigger D) the slick safety E) world beating reliability or F) the snag-free pink CCW-in-a-pocket design.

The only reason that people gave a kitten about that particular SIG was because it has real sights, and it handles like an adult gun compared to the majority of micro .380-dom. If this 42 thing shoots like an LCP, then why bother. If it shoots like a P232, and chews bulk ammo like most Glocks, then it may actually sell to... people who shoot their guns. Maybe their market is lanes, not pockets.

Or, maybe Glock actually sucks. As noted, we shall see. But we shall predict more clearly once the handling reports come in. If it shoots soft, runs well, and hits to the sights then they'll sell a kitten farm of them. IMO, of course.

Put me down as another vote for "Glock is going to sell boatloads of G42 380s".

Tam, I think you're right about the existing market. However, I think Gaston & Friends are going to expand the 380 market, not simply reapportion sales among the Cletii and reluctant gun buyers agonizing over $20, resulting in not only brisk sales for Glock but an overall increase in sales of 380 pistols in general.

This is assuming, of course, that the G42 runs well and is tolerably accurate to 10m, the former being far more important to most buyers.

Heck, even I'm thinking of picking one up, even with the hassle of having to get one via intrafamily transfer from out of state. I wouldn't leave a $900 P2000sk in my vehicle, no matter how well secured, but I absolutely would leave a $400 Glock, mags and ammo in my 24-hour bag.

On the bright side, if Glock sells enough of these things, maybe the powers that be will ramp up production of .380 auto cartridges and the price will drop from the stratosphere. My biggest knock against the .380 is that ammo is so expensive that training with one is impractical. .380 costs about as much as .45... That ain't right.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Can ... we wait to predict the marketplace (wider than the P-F.com marketplace, that is) success or failure response until the data on how it shoots and handles is in?
    If how it shoots and handles was a determinant of success or failure, the P232 would be the best-selling .380 on the market by a country mile.

As to the P238, SIG cashed in on 1911 hysteria and suppressed market yearning for the Colt .380s. Once that market was mostly filled, it's been the Ron Cohen sales formula of SKU proliferation with variations in grip material, color finishes, and laser engraving, all the way. It's hard to find a P238 these days that's not one carbon fiber MOLON LABE rainbow-finished anodized Duracoat special edition or another.

I'm not expressing any value judgment on the gun here one way or the other. It might be the greatest .380 to ever hit dealer shelves, who knows? It may wind up being a sales success. I'm just pointing out that it's a late entry to a crowded market niche that is extremely price-sensitive. I'm sure Glock will keep plugging away at them; in addition to US sales, .380s have advantages in certain foreign markets, plus Glock will keep something in the catalog long after other companies would have discontinued it. They've almost single-handedly kept the 10mm cartridge alive for lo these many years, after all...

ETA: Regardless of how good or bad it does, I'll note that this gun would have done a lot better if it had beaten the Shield to dealer shelves.

ALSO ETA: Not sure how I feel about a gun that will inevitably be pocket carried with a Safe-Action trigger. If Cletus can figure out how to get a bullet into his leg with a P3AT trigger, then self-inflicted gunshot wounds with this thing will be a cinch. Having recently been in the market for a pocket auto because my new winter coat has an outside breast pocket that won't fit a J-frame, I know I was looking for a true double action trigger, and I use a pocket holster.
    Last edited by Tamara; 12-26-2013 at 08:47 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List