Page 10 of 83 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: A Glock 42?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The thing with the 10mm is that it is exactly the right cartridge for a small number of applications, and the wrong one for a bunch more. Of all the guns that went bye bye in the great Post Divorce Get Out Of Debt Gun Selling Spree, that is really the only one I miss. Now that I live on 6 acres bordering a National Forest and spend so much time woods bumming, I could almost make a rational argument for owning another one, but so far haven't been willing to spend the $1k for a Glock 20, extra mags, XS sights, ammo, .40 conversion barrel, extra gunleather, and mag holder.

If Glock were to come out with a 5" to 5.25", double stack version, the Gun Hipster Debbil on my left shoulder might shout down the Financial Responsibility Angel on my right...
    +1 that's a great way to put it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The problem with the 10mm these days is it's so watered down in most commercial offerings, that it's more or less identical to the 40 S&W that replaced it. Why pay more for no reason?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    The G40 should be a 10mm long slide.
    The G41 should be a .45 ACP long slide.
    The G42 should be a small 9mm.
    Yet true to glock fashion...they will be a day late and a dollar short, coming online with a g26 sized .380 and a longslide .45
    Oh. joy.

No point equivocating. If they make a pocket pistol, I'll buy one as soon as I can lay my hands on one. If I like it, I'll be a second. I have an LCP and a P3AT. Both are of dubious reliability and they have awful triggers. I had a SigP290 as well. it had an awful trigger, and was also, oddly, not particularly reliable. I sold it.

I would expect a Glock offering to have a decent trigger and be reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    The problem with the 10mm these days is it's so watered down in most commercial offerings, that it's more or less identical to the 40 S&W that replaced it. Why pay more for no reason?
    That is certainly true of the ammo offered by the big companies like Federal, and Remington. Companies like Double Tap, and Buffalo Bore were loading full tilt boogie 10mm ammo that took full advantage of the cartridge when I was toting it, and now there appear to be some new contenders like Underwood.

That does present a problem. There is a real advantage to carry ammo made by companies like Federal, Speer, Winchester, etc, as they make bazillions of rounds to sell to cops, and thus there are quality control, R&D, and liability advantages to using those brands. While carrying Double Tap or Buffalo Bore isn't quite the same thing as carrying the "special" hand loads cooked up by your uncle Buford on the reloading press in the corner of his single wide, you are a little more "out there."

I shot enough DT and BB rounds to be comfortable with them function and reliability wise. They did exhibit more flash.

I think some sort of "liability" arising from your choice of carry ammo is probably a lot more bugaboo than reality. I got around this by carrying a 9mm with Speer Gold Dots in town. If anybody asked why I carried those I could point to a very large list of police departments that chose them. I carried the 10mm out hiking and backpacking, and felt that I could reasonably articulate using that cartridge in those settings.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    As the poster above me pointed out, that's only sorta kinda true. (Winchester's Silvertip offering and Hornady's heavy XTP are some notable exceptions from the larger manufacturers.)

The other problem with 10mm is that most all the .401" bullets out there are designed to function at .40 S&W velocities. Cranking a 135gr or 155gr Sierra to Warp Factor 9 isn't going to do much good if it just turns inside out and sheds its jacket on impact.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Hornady's 200 grain XTP is one of the only bullets out there that really is 10mm specific, as opposed to a bullet optimized for the .40 that you can easily drive too fast. I do seem to remember that the 180 grain Gold Dot could be driven pretty hard without folding back or failing.

Truth be known, I mostly carried 200 Grain, FMJFP's in mine...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    As a side note, every time I talk about bullets blowing up, I get a weird craving for something in 9x25 Dillon and I have to go have a lie-down 'til it goes away.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    As a side note, every time I talk about bullets blowing up, I get a weird craving for something in 9x25 Dillon and I have to go have a lie-down 'til it goes away.
    I had a 9x25 BBL, ammo, and reloading dies in my online shopping cart once, but had a moment of clarity and put the credit card away.

For the uber nerds among us, buying a Glock 20 10mm and shopping for aftermarket conversion barrels allows one to shoot 10mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG, 9x25 Dillon, and .38 Super. I have also heard of a 9x23 conversion barrel.

I would of course have to have all of this in a brushed stainless case with fitted foam.

Several people on another forum said they have already ordered the G41 long slide .45 and dealers should have them for sale after SHOT Show.

User Tag List