Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gamer flashlight technique

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    It's not really a gaming technique, I just called it that because I'm a gamer, and it works really well for games.
    gotcha! I was not sure if I was missing something I am taking my first low light class this weekend so I appreciate you sharing this as I have been doing some research on low light stuff.

For what its worth from the "non gamer" side......I recently got a Inforce APL to start doing a little work with as the Surefire single battery WML is taking forever.

I was working with it as a great "hotel room" light for the P2000 that I have started carrying as an easy add on to put on the pistol when I bed down when traveling. As I was putting it in on the pistol I accidentally activated it in a similar manner as I was used to mounting Surefire X300 series lights. I thought "that's kind of neat, I suppose you could actually incorporate that as an emergency technique if you had to". Essentially, I couldn't think of any reason to use it off the gun, as it is designed and works best mounted on the pistol, as that is the whole idea. I have to laugh watching the video that sure as heck, leave it to someone "beating" the rules to come up with something workable. Good job!

Many of the techniques used to activate a traditional flashlight AND maintain a really good grip have shown to have some very bad issues when real people get involved. GJM and I debated this to the point of being mad at each other (what's new) in another thread. What I like about this is that "initially" I am not seeing the down side on the safety end. Again, it is just stupid to just not mount the dang thing on the gun and go work and use a better "real light" to search and identify, BUT I could see it as a means of using it with something like a revolver of any size, or a small auto that doesn't have a rail.

SO, I would suggest to Caleb to go hard, grab a 200 lumen APL, and beat the system until they ban it as somehow cheating.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I'll have to check the Inforce lights out, that could be the hotness.

Here is a thought on the "bed stand" handgun. For years, as I went to sleep, I placed my handgun on the bed stand, or on floor next to the bed. May even have hooked a SF light on at times in a hotel.

About a year ago, DocGKR made a comment to me, that he said he learned from a long time FBI agent -- at night, leave your pistol in the holster, on your pants. It was one of those light switch, why hadn't I thought of that moments. It sure saves a lot of gun handling (pistol out at night, laying unsecured on the bed stand or floor likely with the trigger guard uncovered, pistol back in when you dress). For the first years of her life, our bird dog needed to go out once during the night, and countless times I woke up groggy in the middle of the night, grabbed my pistol, stuck it in my appendix holster, and half asleep staggered outside with her.

Fortunately, she outgrew that, and I feel like I am a lot better off following Gary's suggestion. Now, I might go a number of days on a trip without removing the pistol from the holster, and as I change garments, the pistol in the holster comes off as a unit and gets put on the next pair of pants as a unit.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'll have to check the Inforce lights out, that could be the hotness.
    I just tried it with the APL and it seems like it would work very well. The APL also goes constant on if you tap the switch rather than hold it down, so it's really easy to just turn it on and focus on your grip. Seems like a very good solution for the "gamer" flashlight technique.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is a thought on the "bed stand" handgun. For years, as I went to sleep, I placed my handgun on the bed stand, or on floor next to the bed. May even have hooked a SF light on at times in a hotel.

About a year ago, DocGKR made a comment to me, that he said he learned from a long time FBI agent -- at night, leave your pistol in the holster, on your pants. It was one of those light switch, why hadn't I thought of that moments. It sure saves a lot of gun handling (pistol out at night, laying unsecured on the bed stand or floor likely with the trigger guard uncovered, pistol back in when you dress). For the first years of her life, our bird dog needed to go out once during the night, and countless times I woke up groggy in the middle of the night, grabbed my pistol, stuck it in my appendix holster, and half asleep staggered outside with her.

Fortunately, she outgrew that, and I feel like I am a lot better off following Gary's suggestion. Now, I might go a number of days on a trip without removing the pistol from the holster, and as I change garments, the pistol in the holster comes off as a unit and gets put on the next pair of pants as a unit.
    I also used the 'holstered pistol stays attached to the pants' method and enjoyed those benefits too - when I could leave the pistol out like that. Now it has to get locked up, but when it was safe, leaving it in the holster on the pants was the best way by far.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Pants........., that would ruin my best diversion for encounters with evil doers. I can have an adversary clawing their own eyes out without the need of a whiz bang flashlight.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Pants........., that would ruin my best diversion for encounters with evil doers. I can have an adversary clawing their own eyes out without the need of a whiz bang flashlight.
    You know you can just take the gun out of the holster. You don't have to wear the pants themselves.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List