Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamer flashlight technique

Gamer flashlight technique

I hate shooting with a flashlight. I can never get the hold right so the light illuminates the stuff I want illuminated while still allowing me to actually control the gun with both hands. Before I went to the BUG Nats, I was practicing tactical target acquisition (spotlighting the cat) with a Crimson Trace Railmaster light in my hand, and suddenly I had a lightbulb go off.

So, using the Railmaster as a handheld light, I can get almost a perfect master grip on the gun, I can do a reload fairly normally, the only difference with a semi-auto is I grab the mag between my index finger and driving finger, sort of how you'd grip it doing a tac-load.

Thoughts, questions, and critiques are appreciated. Also, I know my office is a horrid mess.

If this catches on I see this getting banned in the next revision of the rule book. They've banned virtually everything else that could improve low light shooting.

Gamer flashlight technique

If it's for a game, why not secure it to the hand with a piece of tape? If it's for defensive technique, I can see it getting lost grappling, or dropping a mag during a mag change because you're focusing more on holding onto the light. I'm a big fan of the handheld light "capture" between the ring finger and pinky, because I have most of my hand free to do a mag change without compromising the grip on the magazine, but the light is still definitely secured.

What does your hand look like reloading? I'm picturing, sort of, fingertips on the mag. Aside from that, it looks like a really neat technique I'll be playing with at home tonight. I'm all for innovation and this is really innovative. Is there a mechanical or design change you would advocate for the light if this technique became adopted by more people? IE: what if there was a ring to slip a finger through so that all of those worries about "securing" the light were gone and you could better focus on getting a better grip on the mags when reloading, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    If it's for a game, why not secure it to the hand with a piece of tape? If it's for defensive technique, I can see it getting lost grappling, or dropping a mag during a mag change because you're focusing more on holding onto the light. I'm a big fan of the handheld light "capture" between the ring finger and pinky, because I have most of my hand free to do a mag change without compromising the grip on the magazine, but the light is still definitely secured.

What does your hand look like reloading? I'm picturing, sort of, fingertips on the mag. Aside from that, it looks like a really neat technique I'll be playing with at home tonight. I'm all for innovation and this is really innovative. Is there a mechanical or design change you would advocate for the light if this technique became adopted by more people? IE: what if there was a ring to slip a finger through so that all of those worries about "securing" the light were gone and you could better focus on getting a better grip on the mags when reloading, etc.
    Sadly, you can't tape the light to your hand, or attach it in anyway. If you could, I'd use a Surefire wrist-light and be done with it.

Here's what my hand looks like while loading:

Attachment 1921

Attachment 1922

I can get that grip using regular Blade-Tech pouches mounted on a rigger belt; if I'm using a concealment pouch I get the same grip, but the mag is turned a bit because of the hand position I have to use.

I was picturing an awkward pinch between the tip of the thumb, and middle and ring fingers.

That seems much better...how solid is the reload? Have you dropped any mags in practice?

It's about as solid as doing a tac load where you're juggling two mags.

I've not practiced the reload with it very much, I've mostly been hitting moonclip reloads like a sir.

Is this a gaming tequnique because others are banned?

It's not really a gaming technique, I just called it that because I'm a gamer, and it works really well for games.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    It's about as solid as doing a tac load where you're juggling two mags.

I've not practiced the reload with it very much, I've mostly been hitting moonclip reloads like a sir.
    If you gotta reload in the dark I guess it outta be light out and run somewhere and reload.

Looks good.

A modestly sized light built like a push dagger with a pressure switch that would bear agin' the front of the grip or your dominant hand's knuckles might advance your method a little.

More light manufactures need to get outside the mainstream LE/Mil gear template. LF has a thread about new mini light design for mounting on little guns. Hand carried is still awfully convenient up until the shooting part.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Interesting, thanks for sharing

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

User Tag List