Thread: Did something stupid with my P-30, help!

Did something stupid with my P-30, help!

I posted this on the HK forum as well because I need help!

OK, stupid move admitted, right up front so we can get that out of the way. I was cleaning my gun and removed the firing pin to clean the channel. Got interrupted for several hours by an emergency. Made the decision to continue the process later while tired and stressed, figured it would be a good way to relax. Surely you guys will understand the motivation…….

I cleaned everything and reassembled the firing pin and spring, FPBlock and spring, put it all back in until everything snapped into place. Next, I forget to install the FPBlock roll pin, duh! I put the slide on the frame and racked it about half way back and now the gun is locked up in that position. It is not back far enough to install the slide lock release. It doesn't want to move either way without undue force. Help please!

We are diminished
    If the firing pin block has over extended into the frame, you're going to need a way to push it back into the slide (through the magwell, most likely).

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    If the firing pin block has over extended into the frame, you're going to need a way to push it back into the slide (through the magwell, most likely).
    Thanks Todd.

The slide is back far enough that the block is not visible throughout the mag well. I spoke with HK and they had a suggestion for me to try. The block is less than a half inch from the rear of the gun. They made a tool from a steel dental pick by flattening it into a very thin sliver and are usually able to slide it in from the rear of the gun and depress the block. They also assured me that if I can't "un-do" my mess they will be glad to do so and also give my gun a thorough inspection for any other needs. It only has about 10k down the pipe so maybe a TRS and that should be about all.

Either way, they were very friendly and helpful on the phone.

Fixed.

After talking with Jesse at HK an idea was hatched. The problem was the FPB was protruding too far and had the gun locked. The slide was too far back to access the block through the mag well. Jesse says they crafted a tool which was thin enough to go in from the rear of the gun to nudge the FPB back into it's recess enough to release the slide.

Being an old guy with a few remaining mechanics tools, I got out my old feeler gauge set. As it turns out, a .010 feeler gauge will fit perfectly into the space immediately beside the hammer. I slipped it into the space, wiggled it around and it worked as if it were made for the job. The block went back into place and the slide released.

Problem solved. So the moral to the story is if any of you guys are as negligent as I was to create this problem, get a .010 feeler gauge.

just think of your misfortune as solving and documenting a problem no one else has had yet.

oh... and more proof that HK does not suck and they do not hate us.
    hat tip to them helping you though it.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    just think of your misfortune as solving and documenting a problem no one else has had yet.

oh... and more proof that HK does not suck and they do not hate us.
    hat tip to them helping you though it.
    Absolutely! Everyone I spoke with at HK from the receptionist, to CS, to Jesse the gunsmith were all very pleasant and helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa View Post
    So the moral to the story is if any of you guys are as negligent as I was to create this problem, get a .010 feeler gauge.
    I actually keep an assortment pack of metal gage stock in my metalworking shop because it's incredibly handy for crafting tools like this. But yes, an old-school feeler gage tool will do the trick if you don't mind mangling one of the blades every now and then.

User Tag List