Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monovision lense questions

There's great information here. It's odd, I just came here thinking of asking a similar question but with Lasik. If no one minds my posting here instead of starting another thread, I consulted with an eye doctor this week about Lasik and think I'm going to go ahead with it. He recommended the Monovision treatment, as I am getting at the age where I'll need bifocals or progressive lenses if I keep my regular glasses, which are already very thick (I'm at -10.5 with an astigmatism). I wondered how it would affect my shooting, among other things, but most of my questions were how it pertained to work and daily life. If anyone has any insight or experience I'd like to hear it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Carraway View Post
    There's great information here. It's odd, I just came here thinking of asking a similar question but with Lasik. If no one minds my posting here instead of starting another thread, I consulted with an eye doctor this week about Lasik and think I'm going to go ahead with it. He recommended the Monovision treatment, as I am getting at the age where I'll need bifocals or progressive lenses if I keep my regular glasses, which are already very thick (I'm at -10.5 with an astigmatism). I wondered how it would affect my shooting, among other things, but most of my questions were how it pertained to work and daily life. If anyone has any insight or experience I'd like to hear it. Thank you.
    I realize I'm late to the party here. I was seriously myopic my whole life (-11.75), had dry eye issues with contacts. I was doing a lot of open water swimming and decided 15 years ago to get LASIK. Went to a prestigious university eye department and had both eyes done. Post-op, I had 20/15 vision, no issues with flying, but larger, brighter RDS dots became unusable due to star bursting. Over time, I had relapse, to about 20/35. The original surgeon made his flaps too thick, so LASIK revision was a no go. I had the left (non-dominant) eye PRK'd about 5 years ago, and developed monovision, which has worked well for me; left for distance, right for close-up. At age 60, I still don't wear reading glasses, but I wear standard corrective lenses for night driving. I find that a 2MOA Aimpoint works way better than a 4MOA dot, especially dialing back the intensity a bit. Even better are optics, like the Leopold Prismatic, where there is a focus ring. Recently I've noticed that I've lost some focus on the front sight (pistol) and am planning on getting some new shooting lenses with a mildly undercorrected right eye. I would totally do the LASIK again, but I would have the flaps done with the laser, not a knife, and ask the question up front about potential revisions. (Note that there are factors, like corneal shape, that influence the decision on blade vs laser for the flap).

Site Supporter
    I do monovision with contacts. I am right handed. I have the right contact focused on my right fingertip when extended to simulate front sight at optometrist office. Left contact focused on distance. Works well for me.

User Tag List