Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Am I too picky? Gun Handling Standards

I don't see much of a problem or an issue. I use a frame grab regularly when teaching as I demonstrate various components of the gun, I've used the frame when removing them from bags aand boxes, etc. Going back to something said early in the thread as long as there is no safety issue I don't see a problem.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Am I too picky? Gun Handling Standards

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Exactly. An instructor who gets angry over something like that needs to take a step back and evaluate his motivation for teaching.
    Absolutely. Any instructor worth his salt can politely disagree and make valid and logical arguments as to why he/she does something. The sad thing is that a lot of famous instructors, even people we look up to, don't teach by using logic and explaining the "why's" behind something, they just claim that their super-secret unit "found that this way works the best and it's been proven in battle" or that it's been "proven on the streets" or that "I've taught this country and that country's elite, and they didn't disagree".

Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    The sad thing is that a lot of famous instructors, even people we look up to, don't teach by using logic and explaining the "why's" behind something, they just claim that their super-secret unit "found that this way works the best and it's been proven in battle" or that it's been "proven on the streets" or that "I've taught this country and that country's elite, and they didn't disagree".
    Quite often, I hear it said that 'famous instructors' do that. However, at last count I have taken 62 classes from 26 different instructors, most of whom are 'famous,' totaling over 1,000 contact hours (I've probably missed some in the count). I can't say I have ever heard that once. And I've rubbed shoulders with them a lot, too. Who have I missed?
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Absolutely. Any instructor worth his salt can politely disagree and make valid and logical arguments as to why he/she does something. The sad thing is that a lot of famous instructors, even people we look up to, don't teach by using logic and explaining the "why's" behind something, they just claim that their super-secret unit "found that this way works the best and it's been proven in battle" or that it's been "proven on the streets" or that "I've taught this country and that country's elite, and they didn't disagree".
    Yeah I've talked with most of the "famous" dudes in the industry, I can't say I've run into much of that either.

Regional yahoos on the other hand...
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    Quite often, I hear it said that 'famous instructors' do that. However, at last count I have taken 62 classes from 26 different instructors, most of whom are 'famous,' totaling over 1,000 contact hours (I've probably missed some in the count). I can't say I have ever heard that once. And I've rubbed shoulders with them a lot, too. Who have I missed?
    PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    Yeah I've talked with most of the "famous" dudes in the industry, I can't say I've run into much of that either.

Regional yahoos on the other hand...
    PM sent.

PM sent.
    Replied.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

I don't know about this super secret thing. Givens, Hackathorn and Proctor certainly don't approach it that way. But the method of holding the cleared pistol to explain something or in admin handling is safe so the bottom line to the OP is yeah he's being too picky.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    JD,

5) A story: many years ago, as a newly minted assistant probationary intern apprentice mascot almost-instructor, I did something amazingly stupid. (Well, I did a lot of amazingly stupid things that year, but this one might take the cake.) One of the students had left his gun open on the bench, and the gun needed to be moved down the line to another spot. So I reached over and palmed the gun as I'd done many times before with other guns. The slide immediately snapped shut, pinching the tender meat of my palm inside the ejection port. YEOWCH! Taken utterly by surprise, I jerked my hand in reflex reaction and the gun went flying behind me, landing at the feet of a clump of students.
    Good thing the boss didn't see that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Hayes View Post
    Good thing the boss didn't see that one!
    That's right up there with the hot brass dance...

User Tag List