Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting

Who here big game rifle hunts and what do you use? I'm in TN so whitetail is about as exciting as it gets for me. I use a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 topped w/Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 w/Leupold bases and rings. I also use a Rem. 700 BDL Deluxe Engraved 30-06 w/iron sights. I'll post some pics later. The long gun forum seems a little dead.

Site Supporter
    Later this year, I'm headed to Montana with a 7WSM for some Elk.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Later this year, I'm headed to Montana with a 7WSM for some Elk.
    Nice. They have an Elk hunt in TN every year starting 2 years ago. I think around 20,000 people put in for it and they give out 4 tags

I deer hunt. Over the years I've taken deer with everything from a S&W 5906 to a Ruger .300Win mag.

I tend to prefer 30-30s and .308s, they work really well, low recoil relatively speaking, and don't blow the meat all to hell if you get into the shoulder.

I bought that .300 because I always thought one day I'd get to go elk hunting, 20 years later I still haven't made that trip.

I've been looking at a deer legal AR for a few years now (I'd hunt with quality 5.56 ammo but in KS you have to be .23cal or bigger). Was going to get a 6mm-.223 at one point and just reload, then I was going to get a 6.8, then back to the 6mm, now I am dead set on having a .300BLK before the first week of December.

Deer, Elk, Black Bear, mountain lion.

It's pretty easy to get drawn for a tag for the big stuff- deer, antelope,and elk. There are some once in a lifetime hunts that are harder to get drawn for, although it happens regularly enough-oryx, big horn sheep.

Bear tags, and mountain lion tags are OTC.

Shoot feral hogs on sight.

Very few restrictions on fur bearers.

NM is a fine place for hunting.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I've been looking at a deer legal AR for a few years now (I'd hunt with quality 5.56 ammo but in KS you have to be .23cal or bigger). Was going to get a 6mm-.223 at one point and just reload, then I was going to get a 6.8, then back to the 6mm, now I am dead set on having a .300BLK before the first week of December.
    You should get an AR in 6.8SPC. That is a pretty decent deer round. In TN you can use .223, but I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon.

My personal preference for hunting is a custom Rem. 700 with Nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope in .300 Win Mag.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

We are diminished
    Different kind of hunting, Sean.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope
    Pretty close to mine, except I use a 50mm w/ MLR + MRad turrets.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Different kind of hunting, Sean.
    Oh.

But it could work. Never actually hunted an animal bigger than a squirrel. But it does a number on those sage rats and diggers.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List