Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolvers, are they still relevant?

I think that in 2 categories revolvers really rule:
    1) Hammerless 5 shot j frames as pocket/ backup guns, a very good tool in a contact range fight.
    2) Magnums for large animals, Bowen .500 , .475 Linebaugh Redhawks etc... Ross Seyfried wrote much about this.

For defense against packs of feral people or dogs I would rather have a high capacity auto of at least 9mm. Currently I am shooting .45 and 9mm Glocks and HK45 Lem , HK P30 LEM.
    Tom Givens stated that his change from 1911 to GL35 was that Memphis was a 3 bad guy town and a 1911 was a 2 bad guy pistol.

but will likely be more inherently accurate and less expensive.
    Not really seeing "less expensive" (even used) around here for K frame S&Ws. Rugers may still be competitive, but nice used Smiths are well into 4 bills territory.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Not really seeing "less expensive" (even used) around here for K frame S&Ws. Rugers may still be competitive, but nice used Smiths are well into 4 bills territory.
    Even plebeian Model 10s have effectively doubled in price in the last eight years.

This was $275 in 95+% condition, in the two-piece gold foil box, back in '03, and the dude offered to knock $25 off if I didn't want the box.
    Last edited by Tamara; 11-20-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Even plebeian Model 10s have effectively doubled in price in the last eight years.

This was $275 in 95+% condition, in the two-piece gold foil box, back in '03, and the dude offered to knock $25 off if I didn't want the box.
    I would like to go back in time and find 21 year old Caleb and tell him that instead of buying Taurii and weird old Berettas to instead use that money and just buy K-frames in bulk when they were $250 a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I would like to go back in time and find 21 year old Caleb and tell him that instead of buying Taurii and weird old Berettas to instead use that money and just buy K-frames in bulk when they were $250 a pop.
    If I had the money about 1990 I could have bought a number of model 66s at $125 each when we cycled out our duty guns for 9mms.

The price stayed remarkably flat on mainstream Smiths for a decade or so, but has just taken an Al Gorean hockey-stick upward swing in the past half-dozen years. I'm effectively priced out of the Hand Ejector collecting business these days. People want sick money for fairly pedestrian K-22s and Combat Masterpieces, which is especially sucky if you want to shoot them.

I want a .22 M&P in the worst way, but those "Post Office" Model 45s are just too spendy to consider as hard-use shooters now.

One of the coolest set ups I ever worked with was my exGF's dad's former duty gun/practice gun duo, a model 15 and whatever the .22lr version of the model 15 is. He launched massive numbers of .22 downrange to stay sharp when he was carrying the .38 at work.

I'd love to be able to have the same set-up, but the money to do so is just stooped now.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    One of the coolest set ups I ever worked with was my exGF's dad's former duty gun/practice gun duo, a model 15 and whatever the .22lr version of the model 15 is.
    Model 18. My pre-18 K-22 Combat Masterpiece is my favoritest Smith to shoot out of all mine.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    No kidding. I snagged a couple of model 19's on CrackBroker for $125 a piece quite a while ago, both in the box nearly flawless condition. One didn't even have a turn ring on it.

Tried to find a 6 shot .357 for a friend who needed one for a security gig and couldn't touch a model 19 for anything less than $600 bucks. Ended up snagging a 686 SSR for myself at a little more than that and selling him one of my model 19's just because the 686 SSR infected my brain and wouldn't get out.

Finding revolvers on the shelf at gunstores was nigh unto impossible, and nobody had any ability to order any.
    3/15/2016

It wasn't too long ago that JG Sales was blowing out DAO Model 64s for $239 and I, like a smacktard, passed.

User Tag List