Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolvers, are they still relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Now that's just sexy right there.
    It's one of those crudely fashioned 66-1's riding in a VM-II.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Wait... you mean you don't have more than one J frame?

I know, right?

I keep forgetting that the whole "Guns. Lots of guns." scene in The Matrix wasn't just "Tuesday morning" for most people, the way it is for others.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Wait... you mean you don't have more than one J frame?

I don't. It is something I am looking to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I know, right?

I keep forgetting that the whole "Guns. Lots of guns." scene in The Matrix wasn't just "Tuesday morning" for most people, the way it is for others.
    Sad isn't it?

I feel bad for the less fortunate kids.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Sad isn't it?

I feel bad for the less fortunate kids.
    I just can't bring myself to waste gun money on silly frivolities like 'food' or 'clothing' the way others do.

I think revolvers are relevant in the sense that they're certainly a viable self-defense/woods gun-within reason, and with awareness of their limitations. Reloading and repeated trigger pulls/accuracy require more training/familiarization/practice/skills to obtain results comparable to, say, a modern polymer-framed autopistol-and then you've got the limited amount of on-board ammunition. A "service" revolver (which I'll loosely describe as one with a 4" barrel, and at least 6 round capacity) will be heavier than most comparable service autopistols, but will likely be more inherently accurate and less expensive.

A problem with the ultra-light revolvers is that the recoil forces can literally separate unfired cartridge's bullets from the cartridge body, and concurrently tie up the revolver mechanically. Not good. They're also a pain in the....hand...to practice with, and if with smaller grips controllability can be drastically compromised. A good holster and belt combination ameliorates the weight/comfort/concealment concerns for me, rendering my 4" service revolvers acceptable for concealed carry.

At the end of my particular day, the only revolvers I possess are service-length ones, with steel frames. I personally trust, and use a compact or sub-compact Glock as a much more palatable alternative than a snub J-frame.

On the other hand, there's something sheerly enjoyable about using and mastering a good revolver-kinda like that 1911 thing...

But if I'm headed into an environment where I feel that the limitations of the revolver cannot be sufficiently addressed/controlled (which are most/most of the time), it'll be a Glock kinda day for me. It's hard to beat the advantages of a reliable, weather impervious, low maintenance, decently accurate, lighter, and higher capacity Glock...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    A "service" revolver (which I'll loosely describe as one with a 4" barrel, and at least 6 round capacity) will be heavier than most comparable service autopistols, but will likely be more inherently accurate and less expensive.

A problem with the ultra-light revolvers is that the recoil forces can literally separate unfired cartridge's bullets from the cartridge body, and concurrently tie up the revolver mechanically. Not good. They're also a pain in the....hand...to practice with, and if with smaller grips controllability can be drastically compromised. A good holster and belt combination ameliorates the weight/comfort/concealment concerns for me, rendering my 4" service revolvers acceptable for concealed carry.

At the end of my particular day, the only revolvers I possess are service-length ones, with steel frames.
    Best, Jon
    The only revolvers I have a use for, are the small/light ones like my Scandium 340, or real big ones for use around bears. While the ones in the middle are fun to shoot, I believe they are obsoleted by the semi-auto service pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

As a wheel gunner I find the following interesting and amusing. At the recent IDPA Bug Nationals Revolvers only represented 20% of the competitors yet from the IDPA Down Zero Blog:

Miculek 1st Overall
    Crego 5th Overall
    Luntz 6th Overall
    Linsky 10th Overall

"Miculek’s final time of 166.50 seconds (with 43 points down) outpaced the Pistol division champion, Mike Seeklander, by 3.69 seconds. Miculek won all but one of the 13 stages in the division, and topped the entire field on six stages. In addition to winning the Revolver title, Miculek won High Industry honors in the division and was the high overall senior. “Jerry is simply amazing to watch, often taking more time to retrieve his revolver from its start position on a stage than putting the required five rounds on target. His incredible performance, not to mention four of the top 10 times coming from wheelgunners, demonstrates that in defensive applications, the revolver can go toe-to-toe with a pistol,” said Joyce Wilson, executive director of IDPA. Finishing second behind Miculek was Kirk Crego whose 198.93 seconds with 40 points down put him fifth overall in the match. Team Smith & Wesson’s other top wheelgunner, Josh Lentz, took third in the division, and sixth overall, with 202.84 (59). Joe Linskey, shooting for Wolff Gunsprings/TDS, placed fourth in the division and 10th overall with 209.42 (33)."

This in my opinion reinforces the fact that the only thing wrong with revolvers is ammunition capacity. If it was just Jerry well "we all want to be like Jerry (Mike)". With 20% of the shooters coming up with 40% of the top Ten shows that revolvers give nothing away from a shootability aspect. It also proves Double Action weapons be it revolvers or semi-auto is not to be dismissed.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

This in my opinion reinforces the fact that the only thing wrong with revolvers is ammunition capacity.
    Heck, that's the only thing wrong with Thompson/Center Contenders, too.

This in my opinion reinforces the fact that the only thing wrong with revolvers is ammunition capacity.
    Yeah, but that "only thing" is a pretty big one.

User Tag List