Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolvers, are they still relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Jude 25 View Post
    I can see how a revolver could be damaged when used to inflict blunt force trama. However in my limited experience my model 14 (with an unprotected ejector rod) has faired well. On the other hand my 92f is pretty easily pushed far enough out of battery that a dead trigger results if pushed against an object. My new M&P 45 experiences a dead trigger even easier under similar circumstances. In my (again limited) experience the parts of my revolver that tended to make contact with combative suspects were the muzzle and the sharp, curved front edge of the frame where the crane goes in. (I'm not suggesting this as a preferred technique; but sometimes things happen spontaneously)

Pushed out of battery ain't the same as damaged. And they aren't always damaged, but it's often enough that one needs to be very aware of the possibility and how that happens.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Pushed out of battery ain't the same as damaged. And they aren't always damaged, but it's often enough that one needs to be very aware of the possibility and how that happens.
    Hi Chuck. I appreciate your expertise. I agree with all your points here.

For clarity: I wasn't meaning to imply that an out-of-battery caused dead trigger constituted "damage." It is just a temporary, probably only momentary, disability of the pistol that could come at the worst time, during a surprise, point blank confrontation with an attacker. This is a particular temporary disability that one won't experience with a revolver. Though someone may be able to damage or disable their revolver by beating an attacker with it. (See my original entry in this thread.)

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

If a revolver isn't the best pistol whipping choice; what is? (trying to get back on topic)
    Oooh, ooo... (raises hand) I think I know this one: Ol' slabsides, correct? Straight up Mil Spec; no fancy extended anything, or ambi safeties to interfere with the beat down.

Right?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Oooh, ooo... (raises hand) I think I know this one: Ol' slabsides, correct?
    It's hard to argue with a great big steel bar, at least without needing stitches.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's hard to argue with a great big steel bar, at least without needing stitches.
    Unless one has inadvertantly slipped the safety off and keeps one's finger on the trigger while using the pistol as a sap… and shoots the pregnant girlfriend, who is standing by watching the fight, in the shoulder.

Fortunately for the trooper in question, that occurred in the mid-70s, so the "victims" were paid off and he kept his job. That incident, or perhaps the infamous shooting involving an M-29 around the same time, was the catalyst for our agency mandating a 4" .357 revolver as the duty weapon.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Unless one has inadvertantly slipped the safety off and keeps one's finger on the trigger while using the pistol as a sap… and shoots the pregnant girlfriend, who is standing by watching the fight, in the shoulder.
    Yeah, things like that are why probably the hitty things and the shooty things should be separate things, at least ideally, I think.

(Heck, if the thing'd had a bad kitchen table trigger job done, would you even need to pull the trigger?)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I friend of mine disabled his Commander by hitting a dude in the head, the bushing flew off and he vaguely saw his recoil spring launch across the parking lot.

The fight got REALLY ugly at that point, and he is lucky he got out of it alive and didn't end up needing to shoot.

While the "Hebrew Hammer" (4" S&W 25-5 duty gun) performed well in the times I had to do some in field brain surgery, the real tool I used a TON for this kind of work was the "Jewish Dentist" which was my full size Maglite. It is a far better tool for hitting hard things.
    As far as contact shooting with the possibility of impact use...there was a time when most of my SWAT guys carried Ruger SP101's loaded with either full house .357 mag or hot +p .38's. We had some very specific operations they were used for. The way they are built, the Ruger Sp101's and snub GP100's are good choices in this role.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I used my 640 with Pachmayr grips for that job, with 125gr JHPs, lots of blasty blast at close range, and a bullet that wouldn't exit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I also own a Fozzie. It's the pluckiest car I've ever owned.
    I also own a Subaru Forrester.

Nice cars.

ETA: Revolvers in the right situational context, are relevant. IMHO. I think BUGs and Magnums are still it, however, IMHO if someone will carry a revolver because of nostalgia or what have you and won't carry a semi-auto, then carry on with a Revolver. I was due to inherit my Grandfather's night stand S&W .357 (I think model 27 or 29? One of those is .356 and one is .44 and I can't remember which) it was sold two months before I turned 21, I was more than a little upset.
    Last edited by BWT; 12-08-2013 at 06:07 AM.

User Tag List