Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolvers, are they still relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    If I had to carry a K, I'd carry my 547 just to tweak 1911guy.
    Why does it not shock me that you have one of those?

9mm vs anything;

Modern 9mm loadings are as good as, or better than, almost all of the old school "manstoppers", including the much vaunted 125gr .357mag, 158gr LSWCHP .38special "FBI" load, and any of the factory .44 specials and .45 Colt loads a copper would have carried back then.

But that still doesn't irrelevate (Yes, that is too a word, I just invented it....) revolvers nowadays.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I find my J frame can be carried anywhere. I have not yet owned a semi-auto where that is the case. To be fair, I have not yet purchased a single stack 9mm. I still prefer to carry my Glock 19 or 26 all else being equal.

If I had to move back to CT (10rd mag cap) I would probably keep my Model 19 as my bedside gun (that is, until I got the money together for a M&P45...)

I find a J works well when mowing and trimming. Three rounds of JHP and two rounds of snake shot. So far the 2 rounds of snake shot have proved more useful.
    Taking a break from social media.

They way I like to think about is that revolvers are still "relevant" in that they still shoot bullets. So they can be used for self-defense. They can even be used effectively if a person is willing to put in the time and effort to shoot them well.

But, a modern semi-automatic handgun like a Glock or an M&P is almost universally going to be a "better" choice for self defense for the large majority of shooters.

I carry a wheelgun every day. But I don't trick myself into thinking that my 640 is somehow magically better than a Glock 26, because it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

I carry a wheelgun every day. But I don't trick myself into thinking that my 640 is somehow magically better than a Glock 26, because it's not.
    It's better; just because you carry it every day.

I actually had a conversation with Todd about just that. I switched back to carrying a wheelgun because I got burned out shooting guns that don't interest me; and I genuinely enjoy shooting wheelguns. I'm a lot more likely to hit the range for a practice session with a gun I like to shoot than I am if I'm carrying another nondescript flat-black people popper.

I totally get that.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I actually had a conversation with Todd about just that. I switched back to carrying a wheelgun because I got burned out shooting guns that don't interest me; and I genuinely enjoy shooting wheelguns. I'm a lot more likely to hit the range for a practice session with a gun I like to shoot than I am if I'm carrying another nondescript flat-black people popper.
    I have a nice Evyl Robot rayskin holster for my Colt 1903*. Stop talking like that.

(Which, incidentally, has been absolutely reliable thus far. Other than the grip panels, every part including the springs on that gun are 109 years old.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

My J frames may not be the best in theory, but often are in the realities of daily life.
    So yup... they're still relevant.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My J frames may not be the best in theory, but often are in the realities of daily life.
    So yup... they're still relevant.
    This reminds me... I need more than one J frame.

User Tag List