Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Newb in training, please help...

I've got a SIRT, and really the only real reason is to have a not-real gun that I can dry fire without fear of accident. The laser is kinda neat, but you're better off just learning to read your sights.

FWIW, I break down dry fire into 2 areas - trigger control & target acquisition

For trigger control I do a lot of wall drills, slow fire at small targets, more rapid fire at a single target, etc.

For target acquisition I do draws, transitions, reloads, etc. but I rarely (not never) pull the trigger. I think it's especially helpful to practice things like draws without a trigger pull. I also use a timer for most of my dry fire, some don't

Steve Anderson is another good resource

I haven't shot IDPA in years so this might apply more to USPSA, but I think you'll find that things like reloads and transitions are more heavily emphasized in competition than in more traditional defensive training. I would recommend spending the majority of your time practicing target transitions. I think it's a good rule of thumb that an A zone out to about 10 yards no more than about a yard apart, your transitions should match your splits. I'd try to achieve that and then tailor your practice based on experiences in matches.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    I've got a SIRT, and really the only real reason is to have a not-real gun that I can dry fire without fear of accident. The laser is kinda neat, but you're better off just learning to read your sights.
    Me too and I couldn't agree more.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Thanks guys, that makes sense and for the first time this site just saved me money-lol!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Thanks guys, that makes sense and for the first time this site just saved me money-lol!

You know you need a double belt, 5 ghost/CR speed/DAA mag pouches, a DOH holster, a Dillon 650, cleats...

You know you need a double belt, 5 ghost/CR speed/DAA mag pouches, a DOH holster, a Dillon 650, cleats...
    Yeah, I'm gonna get by on a frequent flyer, Comptac OWB, double mag pouches, buying cheap reman ammo, and wearing my sneakers

Yeah, I'm gonna get by on a frequent flyer, Comptac OWB, double mag pouches, buying cheap reman ammo, and wearing my sneakers
    Now you know I got nothing against the game. None of that is necessary though, except maybe the Dillon. BaiHu, you got clothes, AIWB rigs, mag pouches, good pistols - you could spend $0 on game equipment and shoot Limited if you felt like it. That would be a low financial commitment way to try it out too.
    Lord of the Food Court

Will they let me run AIWB? At a local match? I broke my comptac out for no reason?

Will they let me run AIWB? At a local match? I broke my comptac out for no reason?

If it is an official USPSA match, yes, they should.

IWB is legal, holster forward of the hip is legal, and IWB forward of the hip is legal. The holster still needs to meet their other safety requirements. I am sure that any of the AIWB holsters popular on this forum would qualify. Keep in mind that AIWB is legal in Open, Limited, and Limited-10. It is not legal in Production, which is where most of our guns belong, even though they also legal in Open, Limited, and Limited-10 (the race gun divisions.) Concealment is legal in all divisions, though I realize that may actually be illegal under NJ law.

Shooting AIWB Limited Minor from concealment is a poor way to win the game, but fun for some of us and if we already own the gear, requires no additional money. If your participation in USPSA becomes oriented solely toward you doing as well as possible in the game, you would be wise to abandon AIWB and concealment and shoot a straight up Production rig or a game rig for whatever division you are shooting.
    Lord of the Food Court

I just want to get better at what I'm doing. I could care less about gaming anything. Thanks for the advice and information.

That's how we all start...
    Seriously though, you won't really be giving anything up going that way. The double belt is more comfortable and convenient, especially if you end up shooting production or L10 just because it's easier to carry 4-5 mags on the belt and not worry about belt loops, they're also stiffer than your 5 stich.

AIWB is USPSA legal for everything expect single stack and production, although - some local clubs are not necessarily clued into this and may either tell you it's not legal or simple let you know that they are not comfortable with it. I'd ask and bring a strong side OWB just in case. I personally don't think that your first match is the time to pull out the rulebook and educate a new to you USPSA club, but that's just me.

I would also recommend shooting limited regardless of what holster you go with, even though you'll be at a disadvantage shooting minor. Stage planning takes some match seasoning and having more reloads just makes it that much more difficult.

User Tag List