Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: USPSA Newb in training, please help...

"Pistol Finals All Divisions" is combined totals for all competitors regardless of division - this is the "not official" total standings
    "Pistol All Divisons" is basically the same thing, stage by stage
    "Pistol Finals Production" is the overall production standings
    "Pistol Production" is production stage by stage

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Here are the combined overall (all divisions listed together) results where you can see the 42nd.

http://www.obcats.com/obcats-scores/...0divisions.htm

Here are the overall Production results where you can see the 10th.

http://www.obcats.com/obcats-scores/...Production.htm

I also saw your results omitted on stage 4. From eyeballing it, if you finished mid-pack on that stage, I would guess you'd move up about two places or so in the Production results to 8th or so. But it depends on how you did on that stage.
    Thanks for tutoring me guys, I'm starting to work my way around the site now with your help. Stage 4 was by far better than my other two bad stages, which were stages 5 and 6. I'm guessing my hit factor was just over 2.5.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Here is the million dollar question, is that allowed in the rules?

Many people seem to forget that local rules require approval from HQ in USPSA, which makes them effectively banned in USPSA as HQ rarely approves local rules.
    Yes. Why would it be disallowed?

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    Yes. Why would it be disallowed?
    Because it discourages new shooters.

Who wants to pay $65 to try something that they aren't sure that they will like.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Because it discourages new shooters.

Who wants to pay $65 to try something that they aren't sure that they will like.
    First off, requiring USPSA membership is "recommended" at a level 1 match, but not mandated. We then, observe the recommendation and require it...

You're right, though, some clubs use matches as a way to encourage participation and there are plenty of outdoor clubs that do that during the summer months. During the winter, however, time and space are at a premium and we need to constrain the matches to people serious about the sport. Our 4-stage, Wednesday night matches sell out in minutes and we've got to cap the crowd at 30 shooters anyway.

Lastly, associate membership to USPSA is $25.00. Sure you don't get the magazine, but whatev...

Stage 4 was posted: http://www.obcats.com/obcats-scores/...Production.htm

Came in 7th of 10 on this stage
    136/140 pts
    HF of 3.0979

BTW, nice call OAK. You nailed my potential standings.

I'll chip in and say that this is bad advice, and your answer/attitude are spot on:

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    RO: ... If you want to get a higher hit factor, speed up and don't hit as many Alphas.
    Me: Thanks and I'm good just going for Alphas and taking a little more time right now.
    I teach and prefer to think of the outer scoring zones as penalties instead of points. In production (or any minor scoring) you take a 40% penalty hitting a C instead of an A. The only situations where I will 'accept' a C over an A is with moving targets or very tight partial shots where I know that the time to ensure an A will turn into a disadvantage.
    Last edited by raks; 11-29-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    You're right, though, some clubs use matches as a way to encourage participation and there are plenty of outdoor clubs that do that during the summer months. During the winter, however, time and space are at a premium and we need to constrain the matches to people serious about the sport. Our 4-stage, Wednesday night matches sell out in minutes and we've got to cap the crowd at 30 shooters anyway.
    I am meh on that. What if they have the interest in the winter that might not be there in the summer? Personally I think that all matches should leave room for one or two new shooters. Right now practical shooting isn't consider a sport by the government, or even some of the shooting press. I think we need to constantly try to expand our sport.

Quote Originally Posted by raks View Post
    I teach and prefer to think of the outer scoring zones as penalties instead of points. In production (or any minor scoring) you take a 40% penalty hitting a C instead of an A. The only situations where I will 'accept' a C over an A is with moving targets or very tight partial shots where I know that the time to ensure an A will turn into a disadvantage.
    I've always told people that you should go at the pace that allows you to shoot 90-95% of the points available regardless of division. Look at the top ten finishers at any of the national matches, almost all of them are in that range, or very close to it (within a percent).

Thanks. Good food for thought you guys and it's what OAK recommended and that's how I played it out. Now I have a few months off until the next match.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

User Tag List