Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Splitting attention between the trigger and front sight

We are diminished
    Robbie -- A good 2H grip lets you get away with a murderous trigger pull sometimes. Try it SHO and WHO sometime and see how the results stack up.

MDS,

For ME, the more conscious thought I put on the trigger, the worse my performance becomes. This becomes really apparent at speed. I want my conscious attention on the front sight and any problem solving needed for the event. My trigger finger manipulation should be on autopilot for best results. Once the decision to shoot has been made, the mechanics of my draw, press-out and trigger press shouldn’t require any conscious thought.

I view trigger control on a continuum. The trigger manipulation needed to hit a small target at 50 yards without time constraint is different than what is needed to hit a man’s chest at 5 yards under an extreme time limit. The key is to use the amount of control necessary to make the shot in the time you have to use.

A drill that helped me is to set par times for various target sizes and distances. Increasing the number of shots placed on the target in the par time will help you lean how gross you can get on trigger manipulation for an given distance, size and time frame.

You can only go as fast as you can see the sights and call your shots. Diverting concentration from the sights to the trigger seems like taking my foot off the gas.

The article on vision is right on, but I don’t think it translates to trigger control.

Ken

Thanks, Ken. It looks like you're right. I've got some work to do!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

User Tag List