Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 223/5.56 ammo for 1/7 twist

Great write up Molon.

Has anyone experienced the same feeding issues with Gold Dot's that other JSP rounds exhibit in the M4 as mentioned by DocGKR?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR
    Also, be cautious with the exposed lead on some JSP designs. Often they will run great for up to 200-300 rounds, but then mysterious feeding failures will begin as a result of lead build-up on the feed ramps. I have personally seen this occur with a variety of JSP's including 55 gr, 60 gr, and 64 gr in LE training courses. As soon as FMJ or OTM was substituted, all the feeding failures ceased.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The 55gr GDSP (24446) has been duty ammo here for a couple of years now, with several gel shoots and bunches of deer slain. I like what I've seen and it does well in the guns, which are almost exclusively 1/7 twists. I have the 64gr in my rifles, and it will replace the 55gr for general issue next rotation.

I posted this elsewhere...

Here's a 64gr GDSP (#24447) recovered from tissue a few weeks ago. Performance between this loading and the commercially packaged 62gr Fusions are often identical.

This round was recovered from a 200lb whitetail buck. I shot him at about 35yds from a kneel. He was shot broadside once just behind the shoulder above the heart. After spinning 180 degrees he offered up the opposite broadside, and was shot at the same approximate location. After jumping in place a few seconds, he fell dead.

During recovery, two entrance wounds and two bullet paths were identified. The first round entered and struck the opposite chest wall and caused trauma as it tried to exit but ran out of gas. The second round had a more angular trajectory and ended up traveling into the guts and was not recovered.

This load chronos about 2700fps from the gun.

In the third photo, it looks like a petal has broken off. It's actually folded over onto an adjacent petal, maintaining full structural integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Great write up Molon.

Has anyone experienced the same feeding issues with Gold Dot's that other JSP rounds exhibit in the M4 as mentioned by DocGKR?
    The soft point of the Gold Dot has very little exposed lead and wouldn't be as prone to it. Rifles in inservice here run ~350rds each, without issue. Mine has gone much more than that with both the 55s and 64s. (I have good luck with soft points in general, having shot or seen shot umpteen cases of the 55 and 60gr Hornady JSPs as loaded by BHA.)

In addition to its excellent performance, one of the distinguishing attributes of the Gold Dots is their price. Not only do they trend as a performance leader, they are also commonly the (gov) pricing leader as well.

User Tag List