Thread: "European Mag Release"

"European Mag Release"

I was wondering what the preferred method of manipulating a Euro mag release, like on an HK or Walther, was. Is the thumb or trigger finger used? I am just wondering if there is a preferred method that is taught or if it user preference dictated by hand size and shooter style.

Site Supporter
    Just to clarify, you're talking about the paddle release offered on the current HK guns, rather than the traditional "European" mag release located on the heel of the grip (Walther P38 or HK PSP), correct?

For the paddle type, I use my trigger finger.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Just to clarify, you're talking about the paddle release offered on the current HK guns, rather than the traditional "European" mag release located on the heel of the grip (Walther P38 or HK PSP), correct?

For the paddle type, I use my trigger finger.
    Yes, the ambi-paddle doo-hickey, not the heel mag release. I thought the trigger finger felt better. With the thumb you have to twist the gun in hand and I knew that probably wasn't the right technique.

Site Supporter
    I've seen a few guys who can hit it with their thumb and not shift the grip, but I can't. The trigger finger seems very natural, especially with the right backstrap installed.

Definitely trigger finger. In fact, I prefer releasing the magazine in this way to the point that I set up my guns with button style releases "left handed" so I can actuate the release with my trigger finger. I find it allows me to drop the mag faster and without having to shift my grip whatsoever.

We are diminished
    Trigger finger. I wish I could set my G17 up to work well with a trigger finger mag release position, but the button -- though it's reversible -- sits too far back.

Being a southpaw, I've never been a big fan of switching releases over. I generally use the inside of the first knuckle of my trigger finger to engage the mag release. I've never had an issue with any type weapon using this method.

User Tag List