Thread: Judgmental/Decisional Shooting drills

Judgmental/Decisional Shooting drills

I'm looking for some judgmental/decisional shooting drills that can be run on a "square" range in a low tech environment.

We are diminished
    Give each student two torso/head targets.

Number each zone (each head and each torso) with a different number from 1-8. Each student will end up with four numbers. Try not to give any one shooter multiples of the same digit.

Call out a pair of descriptors. Shooters only draw and engage on targets that meet all of the descriptors. So for example, "even head" means only shoot at a head target with an even number. "Five left" means only shoot at the number five if you have one on your left target.

You can further complicate things by forcing real thinking. I've used, for example, "last four digits of your cell phone" or "your mother's birthday."

It's not even close to making actual connections between actual threat indicators under actual dynamic conditions, but it definitely gets people thinking about target ID.

There's a line of paper targets at letargets.com (DT4 A B and C) that appear useful.

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=DT-4A
    Last edited by BobM; 11-10-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

Number each zone (each head and each torso) with a different number from 1-8. Each student will end up with four numbers. Try not to give any one shooter multiples of the same digit.

Call out a pair of descriptors. Shooters only draw and engage on targets that meet all of the descriptors. So for example, "even head" means only shoot at a head target with an even number. "Five left" means only shoot at the number five if you have one on your left target.

You can further complicate things by forcing real thinking. I've used, for example, "last four digits of your cell phone" or "your mother's birthday."

It's not even close to making actual connections between actual threat indicators under actual dynamic conditions, but it definitely gets people thinking about target ID.
    How about painting each of the 8 zones a different color?...Same thing?
    CC
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    How about painting each of the 8 zones a different color?...Same thing?
    CC
    Numbers = math = thinking.

I also differentiate high (5-8) and low (1-4) which, like odd/even, adds another level of processing.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

I shot a drill similar to this at a Northern Red class a year ago or so and it was definitely a pretty effective way of introducing an extra level of mental stress, all while still having to perform to a standard. It becomes even more intense when, after calling out the number(s), the instructor stands behind you and calls out other fake numbers in your ear to mess you up as you're trying to identify and engage the appropriate targets.

Student

Image Based Decisional Drills

I came over here to P-F to post about it, and a search for keywords produced this thread.

I was rereading an older article written by psuedonym John Mosby, in which he describes Frank Proctor's 'Third Grade Math' and his own 'PRA 1-5' drill derived from Kyle Lamb and Pat McNamara's work, when suddenly I remembered a video on the ASP Extra channel that I started last Sunday but didn't finish because it was pretty late and I'm dubiously fortunate enough to still have work on Monday.

Image Based Decisional Drills, which appear to be a drill, training aid, and opportunity for instructor development all in one pretty nifty package as developed by Shelley Hill at the Complete Combatant, with the help of a lot of other folks who should be familiar to all of us.

http://www.thecompletecombatant.com/...al-drills.html

Rather than dwell too long on how big a hit these would have been at the recently-cancelled TacCon (there'll be next year anyway), the silver lining is that these can be done by those who can't get to the range, and with few other tools besides a trainer pistol that I suspect usually don't get a whole lot of incorporation into dry practice. Especially those prop phones -- I had actually had a conversation with John Murphy earlier this year about buying some.

I'll be ordering this at the end of this week and I'll write my thoughts on it after trying it out for myself.
    Last edited by Yung; 04-19-2020 at 01:32 AM.

User Tag List